Police Shoot Two Men in Separate Incidents - NBC Chicago

Police Shoot Two Men in Separate Incidents

Joliet Police Department has ruled both justifiable



    Police Shoot Two Men in Separate Incidents
    Police say they believe a fatal car fire and a house explosion in Pennsylvania's Pocono Mountains are related.

    Two men were shot by Joliet police in separate incidents Monday morning, both of which were ruled justified by the department.

    Still, the officers who fired shots in both incidents have been placed on leave until further notice.

    The first incident happened around 2:30 a.m. Police stopped a vehicle belonging to James Pacheco, 35, police told the Chicago Sun-Times. When officers approached him, he took off in the vehicle, the Sun-Times reported.

    He hit a dead end when he encountered a train and turned around, driving directly at the officers and ignoring officer orders to exit the vehicle, police told the Sun-Times. One officer on the scene jumped out of the way; the other fired his gun, the paper reported.

    The chase ended when Pacheco crashed into a light pole, according to the Sun-Times.
    Pacheco was shot in the arm and a bullet grazed his face, Joliet Police Chief Mike Trafton told the Sun-Times. He was reportedly hospitalized under police guard, and was charged with driving under the influence, aggravated fleeing and eluding, and criminal damage to property.

    Another man was threatening suicide and high on drugs during a separate morning incident, witnesses told the Chicago Sun-Times.

    Police responded to two calls around 7:30 a.m. Monday. One said a man was threatening two female victims, and the other claimed the aggressor had a gun.

    When police arrived, Demarcus S. Johnson, 29, tried to leave through the rear door of a residence wielding a gun, police told the paper.

    An officer ordered Johnson to drop the gun, but he refused, at which point an officer shot at Johnson once, police told the Sun-Times. Another officer then took the gun from Johnson and a third officer gave first aid, the Sun-Times reported.

    "As bad as it was, he's going to be okay," Joliet Police Chief Mike Trafton told the Sun-Times. "The kid went in for surgery, nothing vital was hit, and he's hoping to be released in a few days."

    Johnson was hospitalized under police guard Monday, according to the Sun-Times.

    Johnson faces charges of armed violence, unlawful use of weapon by a felon, possession of a controlled substance with intent to deliver, unlawful use of a weapon by a street gang member, aggravated domestic battery, and two counts of aggravated assault, the Sun-Times reported.

    The Joliet Police Department could not immediately be reached for comment Monday night.