Alleged Cop Killer Tried to Cover His Tracks: Police - NBC Chicago

Alleged Cop Killer Tried to Cover His Tracks: Police

Slain officer Michael Flisk will be laid to rest Wednesday



    Chicago Police have charged a 19-year-old parolee with the murder of officer Michael Flisk and retired CHA officer Stephen Peters. (Published Monday, Nov. 29, 2010)

    Chicago Police have charged the 19-year-old parolee who's been in custody since Saturday with the murder of officer Michael Flisk and retired CHA officer Stephen Peters.

    Flisk and Peters were killed Friday while Flisk, an evidence technician for the Chicago Police department, worked a burglary scene inside Peters' garage, at 8034 S. Burnham Avenue, authorities said.

    Police charged Timothy Herring, 19, with two counts of first degree murder.  He was also charged with one count each of attempted murder and aggravated battery with a firearm in connection with a June shooting that left one man injured, said Cook County State's Attorney's Office spokesman Andy Conklin.

    Herring had previously been convicted of armed robbery and sentenced to six years in prison but was most recently released on parole Sept. 14.

    100 Club Serves, Protects Those Who Serve, Protect

    [CHI] 100 Club Serves, Protects Those Who Serve, Protect
    Executive Director Joe Ahern explains the history and motivation behind the 100 Club.
    (Published Wednesday, Nov. 17, 2010)

    Investigators said Herring feared he would return to prison if caught for the burglary so he killed the men to cover his trail.

    In addition, a second man, 22-year-old Timothy Willis, of the 8300 block of South Crandon, was charged with one count of unlawful possession of a firearm and one count of obstruction of justice in connection to the crime, police said.  They did not specify what role Willis played in the crimes.

    "The detectives just did a tremenous job.  They tied a lot of things together at light speed," said Supt. Jody Weis during a Monday afternoon press conference announcing the charges.

    Weis said Flisk and Peters, who was a former officer and who still carried a weapon, did not take their weapons out of their holsters before they were shot.

    Both Herring and Willis are expected to appear in bond court on Tuesday.

    Weis also offered his condolences to the Flisk and Peters families.

    "It is my sincere hope the quick resolution in this case brings them some sense of peace in the coming days and weeks," he said.

    Charitable foundations that provide financial assistance to the families of fallen police officers on Monday presented checks totaling $65,000 to Flisk's family.

    The Chicago Police Memorial Foundation presented a check for $50,000 to Flisk's widow and family, while the 100 Club gave them an "initial check" for $15,000.

    "Within several weeks we will return to the family with an additional $35,000 and explain to the family the additional assistance available to the children once they reach college age," a spokeswoman for the Hundred Club said.

    For more than 40 years, the 100 Club has provided near-anonymous assistance for the families of firefighters and police officers killed in the line of duty.

    Meanwhile, funeral arrangements for Flisk have been set.

    Visitation for the 46-year-old evidence technician has been scheduled for Tuesday at Brady and Gill Buneral Home in Evergreen Park from 3 p.m. to 9 p.m.  Funeral services will follow on Friday at 10 a.m. at St. Rita of Cascia Shrine Chapel.