• The organization must be a tax exempt 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.
• The 501(c)(3) non-profit organization must have been in existence for more than two years and have an annual operating budget of more than $300,000 (defined by the organization’s most recent 990).
• The specific program/project being submitted by the organization must have been in existence and in operation for no more than two years.
• 21st Century Solutions supports high impact, innovative programs that are creating change in our local communities by solving existing problems or emerging social issues in new ways. Projects that do not demonstrate an innovative approach will not qualify.
• 21st Century Solutions will accept one entry per Tax ID number, per year. If your organization shares a Tax ID number, please coordinate internally as only one application will be accepted for consideration.
• Previous 21st Century Solutions winning organizations are eligible to re-apply for program funding after three years. Therefore, organizations awarded grants in previous cycles are not eligible to apply and will not be considered.
Program proposals must fall within one of the primary categories below:
Engaging citizens to steer change and build strong local communities through service.
Strengthening educational opportunities for students from kindergarten through college.*
Promoting, incorporating or innovating environmental advances in the local community.
Jobs and Economic Empowerment
Providing the tools and processes for individuals to obtain and maintain meaningful jobs.
Broadening access to the arts and communications via new media technologies creating technology-based learning and expression platforms.
Utilizing technology to educate and solve for local community challenges.
• Not Eligible to apply:
o Labor Organizations, Causes or Programs
o Political Organizations, Causes or Programs
o Religious Organizations, Causes or Programs
o Schools and Educational Institutions*
*Unable to fund schools and their affiliated fundraising entities (including elementary, secondary and universities).
The organization must be physically located in and serve one of the ten NBCU Owned Television Markets as defined below:
NBC Bay Area
Terrestrial geographic viewing area in the counties of Alameda, Contra Costa, Lake, Marin, Mendocino, Napa, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Solano and Sonoma in the state of California.
Terrestrial geographic viewing area in the counties of Cook, DeKalb, DuPage, Grundy, Jasper, Kane, Kankakee, Kendall, Lake, LaPorte, LaSalle, McHenry, Newton, Porter and Will in the states of Illinois and Indiana.
Terrestrial geographic viewing area in the state of Connecticut.
NBC Dallas-Fort Worth
Terrestrial geographic viewing area in the counties of Anderson, Bosque, Collin, Comanche, Cooke, Dallas, Delta, Denton, Earth, Ellis, Fannin, Freestone, Hamilton, Henderson, Hill, Hood, Hopkins, Hunt, Jack, Johnson, Kaufman, Lamar, Navarro, Palo Pinto, Parker, Rains, Red River, Rockwall, Somervell, Tarrant, Van Zandt and Wise in the state of Texas.
NBC Los Angeles
Terrestrial geographic viewing area in the counties of Esmeralda, Inyo, Kern-East, Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside-West, San Bernardino and Ventura in the state of California.
NBC New York
Terrestrial geographic viewing area in the counties of Bergen, Bronx, Dutchess, Essex, Hudson, Hunterdon, Kings, Middlesex, Monmouth, Morris, Nassau, New York, Ocean, Orange, Passaic, Pike, Putnam, Queens, Richmond, Rockland, Somerset, Suffolk, Sullivan, Sussex, Ulster, Union, Warren and Westchester in the states of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut.
Terrestrial geographic viewing area in the counties of Atlantic, Berks, Bucks, Burlington, Camden, Cape May, Chester, Cumberland, Delaware, Gloucester, Kent, Lehigh, Montgomery, Mercer, New Castle, Northampton, Philadelphia and Salem in the states of Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware.
NBC San Diego
Terrestrial geographic viewing area in the county of San Diego in the state of California.
NBC South Florida
Terrestrial geographic viewing area in the counties of Broward, Miami-Dade and Monroe in the state of Florida.
NBC Washington D.C.
Terrestrial geographic viewing area in the counties of Alexandria City, Allegany, Arlington, Berkeley, Calvert, Charles, Clarke, Culpeper, Fairfax, Falls Church, Fauquier, Frederick, Fulton, Grant, Hampshire, Hardy, Jefferson, King George, Loudoun, Manassas Park, Manassas Park City, Mineral, Montgomery, Morgan, Page, Prince George’s, Prince William, Rappahannock, Shenandoah, Spotsylvania, St. Mary’s, Stafford, Warren, Washington and Westmoreland in the states of Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania, as well as the District of Columbia.
PLEASE NOTE: Applications that do not meet these Eligibility Requirements will not be considered. Incomplete applications and those containing information that has been misrepresented will not be considered.