Chicago is booming with museums.
From the Field Museum to the Museum of Science and Industry, even to the new George Lucas Museum making its way into the city, Chicago is home to all sorts of historic archives.
But one particular Windy City museum has been named the world’s favorite—the Art Institute of Chicago.
Home to historic art staples like the “American Gothic” painting by Grant Wood, the museum topped competitors like the Louvre and the Metropolitan Museum of Modern Art to be named the “Best Museum in the World” by TripAdvisor.
The list of top museums was put together for the 2014 Travelers' Choice Awards, which based the ranking based on the quantity and quality of reviews for museums worldwide in the last year.
“Some of the world’s most significant cultural institutions are represented within the Travelers’ Choice Museums thanks to the feedback shared by millions of travelers around the world,” said Barbara Messing, chief marketing officer for TripAdvisor. “Featuring some of the world’s finest art, scientific discoveries and historical events, these world-class attractions offer both educational and enriching experiences.”
The travel website reports that 28 percent of travelers will visit the Grant Park museum this fall.
Founded in 1879, the Art Institute of Chicago is home to an array of impressionist and post-impressionist collections and has more than 300,000 artworks on display.
The iconic museum took the top spot on two lists including “Top Museums in the U.S.” and “Top Museums in the World.”
The best museums in the world were:
1. Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago, IL USA
2. National Museum of Anthropology (Museo Nacional de Antropologia), Mexico City, Mexico
3. State Hermitage Museum and Winter Palace, St. Petersburg, Russia
4. The Getty Center, Los Angeles, CA USA
5. Galleria dell’Accademia/Statue of David, Florence, Italy
The top museums in the U.S. were:
1. Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago, IL
2. The Getty Center, Los Angeles, CA
3. The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York City, NY
4. The National WWII Museum, New Orleans, LA
5. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.
The city’s Museum of Science and Industry took the 16th slot for top museums in the nation.