A family is suing a Bedford Park company over a death they believe could have been prevented.
Carlos Centeno, Sr., 50, was working at Raani Corporation last November as a sub-contractor when he was burned over 80 percent of his body by a heated citric acid solution while cleaning a tank at the chemical company.
Attorney Stephan Blandin says the company was slow to get Centeno medical attention.
"Raani intentionally did not go to the hospital, they did not call an ambulance, did not call 911 despite having third-degree burns over a third of his body," Blandin said.
Blandin says a co-worker took Centeno to a medical clinic and was eventually transported to Loyola Hospital. He died three weeks later.
He was in pain and nobody did nothing to help him, and after that, he had to suffer in the hospital too," the victim's son, Carlos Centeno, Jr. said at a Wednesday news conference.
Raani was later hit with 14 health and safety violations and ordered to pay a half-million dollars in fines.
The company had no comment on the lawsuit.