Woman Shot in Dolton After Picking Up 4 Kids at Day Care, Official Says

The shooting prompted a massive investigation, including a SWAT response at a nearby home

A manhunt is on for suspects in a shooting that left a mother of four critically hurt in suburban Dolton on Wednesday evening. 

The shooting took place at around 7 p.m. near the intersection of Sibley Boulevard and Chicago Road, according to community activist and Dolton Trustee Andrew Holmes.

The woman, identified as Marshia McGill, was a kind woman who was known to go the extra mile for her kids, according to neighbors.

"She's a hands-on mother," neighbor Sheryl Hill said. "You don't see her kids running up adn down the neighborhood without her. They're always with her, and she's always being productive."

On Thursday night, McGill had just picked up her four children from daycare and was driving eastbound when she was caught in the crossfire of a shooting.

Witnesses say she was struck several times, and her van careened up the street for several blocks before coming to a stop near Thornridge High School. 

The woman was taken in critical condition to an area hospital, officials said. Her children were believed to have escaped the incident unharmed.

"The kids are with other family members that came and got them, they are shaken up," Holmes said. "It was their mom in the car and we’re going to do what we can. We’re going to reach out to family later on today, working with the chief and mayor."

The shooting prompted a major investigation that included a SWAT situation at a home on Oak Street near Sibley overnight. Witnesses reported seeing someone was seen running toward the house, prompting a massive response from law enforcement agencies. 

SWAT team officers surrounded the house and eventually went inside the residence, but a search turned up nothing, according to Holmes. 

Holmes said there were numerous shell casings at the site of the shooting, all part of evidence collected by police as they search for the gunman.

Further details were not immediately available and the investigation into the shooting remained ongoing.

Contact Us