Chicago's interim top cop expressed his stance on a potential Justice Department review of the city’s police department.
Interim Police Superintendent John Escalante told NBC 5 on Friday the city will cooperate should the feds decide to conduct an investigation.
“We'll work very closely with the Department of Justice if that's going to be what happens,” Escalante said.
Escalante was named interim Chicago Police Superintendent last week after Mayor Rahm Emanuel announced that Supt. Garry McCarthy has been asked to step down.
A 29-year veteran, Escalante was chief of detectives during the Laquan McDonald shooting and also saw the videos 13 months ago. He cited police union rules as the reason for the delay in releasing the video.
“Part of it was contractual,” Escalante said. “The superintendent was very limited in what he could do."
Emanuel recently said the video showing the fatal police shooting of Ronald Johnson will be made public next week.
"I've seen the video, it's a very different set of circumstances,” Escalante said. “I'm hoping there won't be any outrage, protests are understandable.”
Escalante has not yet decided if he will apply to keep the superintendent's job as a nationwide search begins.
Meanwhile, Emanuel, McCarthy, Cook County State's Attorney Anita Alvarez and the attorney representing the police officer who is now charged with first degree murder of McDonald attended the the annual Irish fellowship holiday luncheon on Friday.
The event marked the first public sighting of McCarthy since being fired by the mayor last week. He left the Hilton Chicago without a public statement, but earlier he received a one-minute standing ovation when introduced at the luncheon.