Officers from Chicago and Illinois joined together to create a party bus task force aimed at cracking down on non-compliant operators, officials announced Wednesday.
"You’re an unscrupulous operator of a party bus? I have one word," Mayor Rahm Emanuel said. "Party is over."
The task force includes Chicago police, the Secretary of State’s office, Illinois State Police and the Illinois Department of Transportation.
"It expands our enforcement footprint against bad actors coming in from beyond city limits," said Business Affairs and Consumer Protection Commissioner Rose Escareno.
The problem posed for Chicago authorities has previously been bus operators based outside city limits.
An initial crackdown began last March but a party bus-related shooting killed a man and injured two others. The shooting prompted the city to require cameras and security personnel on busses with 15 or more drinking patrons or busses that make multiple bar stops.
"By doing this we’re raising the standard," Emanuel said. "Those who do not meet the standard of what we want to see in an operator will not be able to effectively operate in the city of Chicago."
In 2016, the city said there were six shootings and in 2017, there were three. So far this year, there has been one.
Over the last year, Chicago officials said 260 tickets have been issued to 37 bus operators. The new task force is set to begin this week.