At least eight people have been killed and 13 others have been injured in shootings across the city of Chicago this weekend, police said.
In the first deadly shooting of the weekend, a 39-year-old man was shot and killed at approximately 10:15 p.m. Friday in the 3300 block of West Monroe, according to Chicago police. The victim was sitting inside a parked vehicle when a four-door red or maroon vehicle drove up, and someone exited the vehicle and fired shots. The offenders then fled westbound in Monroe. No one was in custody as of Saturday evening.
In a separate incident, a 29-year-old man was fatally shot, and two other men were injured, in a shooting at approximately 8:55 a.m. Saturday in the 2800 block of West Congress Boulevard, officials said. Police stated an offender approached all three victims on a corner, produced two handguns and fired numerous times.
The victim who was fatally shot sustained gunshot wounds to the chest and abdomen, police stated. A second victim, a 29-year-old man, was listed in serious condition with gunshot wounds to the back, hand and thigh. A third person, a 28-year-old man, sustained a gunshot wound to the lower leg and was reported to be in fair condition. No arrests had been made as of Saturday evening.
In the city's third fatal shooting of the weekend, a 26-year-old man sustained multiple gunshot wounds at approximately 9:14 a.m. Saturday in the 2200 block of West Cullerton. Police stated the victim sustained multiple gunshot wounds to the left side of his body, and he later died at Mount Sinai Hospital. Police were investigating what led up to the incident.
Separately, a 19-year-old man was shot and killed at approximately 5:30 p.m. in the 3800 block of South Cottage Grove. The victim was walking down the street when an unknown male offender exited a BMW, produced a handgun and fired shots, striking the victim in the head, leg and hand. The victim was taken to the University of Chicago Medical Center where he died.
On the city's Southwest Side, a 29-year-old man was fatally shot at approximately 7:18 p.m. Saturday in the 3700 block of West 58th Street, according to police. The victim was walking on the sidewalk when an unknown occupant from a vehicle fired shots, striking the victim in the chest and head. The man died at the scene.
Here are the other shootings that have happened as of Sunday afternoon:
- At approximately 5:12 a.m., a 37-year-old man walked into South Shore Hospital with a gunshot wound to the hand, police said. The victim told police he was shot in the area of 75th and Cottage Grove. Officers responded to the scene where they found evidence of a shooting, police said.
- In the 7700 block of South Morgan at approximately 7:29 a.m., a 30-year-old male sustained a gunshot wound to the leg, according to Chicago police. The victim stated he was shot by a known male offender following an argument. He was taken to the University of Chicago Medical Center and listed in fair condition.
- A 20-year-old woman suffered a gunshot wound at approximately 2:20 p.m. in the 1900 block of North Keeler, police said. The victim was taken to Stroger Hospital and listed in stable condition.
- At approximately 8:45 p.m. in the 6700 block of South Eberhart, an 18-year-old man sustained a gunshot wound to the right thigh, police said. The victim was last listed in stable condition.
- At around 9:31 p.m. in the 3300 block of W. Bryn Mawr, a 23-year-old man walked-in to Swedish Covenant Hospital with a graze wound to the back of the head. The victim reported he was driving when a suspect in a black SUV fired shots at him. He was listed in serious but stable condition.
- In the 2000 block of S. Wells, at around 2:13 a.m., three victims were in a residential parking lot when an unknown man approached them and announced a robbery. A 44-year-old female victim complied and as the men resisted, the offender fired several shots striking them. A 39-year-old sustained gunshot wounds to the head and was pronounced dead at the scene. Another 38-year-old man sustained gunshot wounds to the head and was also pronounced dead at scene. Police said the offender fled on foot and was apprehended in the 2200 block of S. Princeton. A weapon was recovered. Charges are pending.
- A 36-year-old man was driving a car near the 1300 block of N. Rockwell at around 3:04 a.m. with a 7-year-old girl relative and two to three other adults. As they were driving, they heard shots from behind them and the driver suffered a gunshot wound to the head while the girl suffered a gunshot wound to the back. Both were transported to Stroger Hospital where the man was pronounced dead, while she was listed in fair condition. The other passengers in the vehicle did not see the gunman. The car came to a stop in the 1500 Block of N. Rockwell and no one else in the vehicle was injured, police said.
- A 25-year-old woman was a passenger inside a car with two other people when an unknown occupant inside of a passing silver four-door sedan fired shots, striking her in the leg. The incident took place in the 2200 block of S. Blue Island around 3:38 a.m. It is believed someone in another unknown passing vehicle may have also fired shots toward her as well. The victim was transported to Stroger in fair condition.
- At around 5:15 a.m., 19th District Officers responded to a call of a disturbance on the 3600 block of North Ashland Avenue. An offender shot the victim and fled on foot. Once officers located the armed suspect, a confrontation ensued and the offender shot at officers who returned fire. He was pronounced dead at the scene anda weapon ws recovered. The original victim was struck in the neck and cheek and transported to a nearby hospital. An officer was also hospitalized for minor injuries.
- A 48-year-old man was walking southbound in the 8300 block of South Colfax around 11:52 a.m.,when an unknown offender across the street fired shots at the victim. He sustained a gunshot wound to the abdomen and was transported to the University of Chicago Hospital in serious condition.