"Illinois’ embattled but defiant governor turned to the history books on Thursday to describe the emotional strain on him and his family, comparing his arrest last month to Japan’s attack on Pearl Harbor," AP reports.
Here are some other comparisons that Rod Blagojevich may have made recently.
- "This is just like the Scopes monkey trial," he complained one day to his attorneys, "and I'm the monkey!"
- "They didn't believe Galileo either!" he told his kids one day while helping them with their homework.
- "This is just like Rex Grossman was treated!" he screamed one morning reading the papers over breakfast.
- "Now I know how Dusty Baker must have felt when he was about to get fired," he was heard on wiretap confiding to Adviser 12.
- "This is my personal 9/11," he was heard to say when federal agents first whisked him away. "And you guys are my Al-Qaeda!"
- "I've been reading a lot about Nelson Mandela's time in prison," he told Patti one night. "He came back to become president, you know."
- "How did Jesus do it?" he once wondered aloud.
- "Remember the day the Challenger blew up?" he asked an aide. "I totally feel like something like that is happening to me."
- "Nixon totally should have stayed and fought!" he remarked after seeing Frost Nixon.
- "It's not fair!" he wrote in a letter to Ron Santo. "It's not like I'm Steve Bartman or something!"
- "This is approaching Brangelina territory," he said to his media strategists one day. "I bet I can sell a cover shoot the highest bidder!"
- "It's not like I killed JonBenet Ramsey," he muttered while jogging. "Or did I?"
- "This is just like The Wrestler not getting a Best Picture nomination!" he screamed at the E! channel last night.
- "Now I know how John McCain must have felt in the Hanoi Hilton," he mused as he watched McCain on Larry King Live last night.
- "This is just like the prosecution of George Ryan!" he told Lobbyist 43. "Er, um, scratch that."