‘Serial Stowaway' Marilyn Hartman Sentenced To 364 Days in Cook County Jail

A furious Cook County judge previously ordered Hartman to six months of mental health confinement, telling her he is convinced she is "addicted to attention"

A week after being ordered held without bond for walking away from a mental health facility in Chicago,  "serial stowaway” Marilyn Hartman was sentenced Thursday to 364 days at Cook County Jail.

With good behavior, Hartman could be out in 162 days.

Hartman previously was ordered confined to Margaret Manor on North Orleans for at least the next six months after another excursion to O’Hare Airport. Last week it was revealed that she had left the facility twice.

Her attorney, assistant public defender Parle Roe-Taylor, says on both occasions she returned to the facility.

“Marilyn’s having a difficult time,” Roe-Taylor told NBC 5. “This is a real struggle for her.”

When he ordered her confined to Margaret Manor, Raines had warned Hartman she was getting her last chance.

"You walk out that door, there's no more mental health opportunities," Raines said. "There's no more feeling sorry for you."

During that hearing, prosecutors advised the judge that a dozen Chicago Police officers had scrambled to intercept Hartman, when her GPS bracelet alerted authorities she was nearing the airport. After scouring the terminals, she was found in a bus shuttle waiting area.

“This is the end of the line,” Raines scolded Hartman. “This is basically going to be a jail sentence. You cannot leave Margaret Manor. If you walk out on the street, you are in violation.”

And Raines made clear that any violation would not only carry a stiff fine of $2,500, it would mean moving her to real imprisonment.

"The only thing left is Cook County Jail," Raines said. "Everybody's pretty much had it with you!"

And now, she is indeed back at Cook County Jail.

Another hearing has been set for next Thursday, but in the meantime, Hartman’s bond has been revoked. Her attorney said she did not know enough details, but suggested it might be harsh to throw the book at Hartman on the basis of these latest incidents, since she had returned to Margaret Manor.

“I don’t think it’s a violation which should amount to her being taken into custody,” she said.

Hartman had previously been confined at another facility, the Sacred Heart home on South Albany. In February, convinced that Hartman was getting better, Raines had allowed her to move to Margaret Manor, and agreed to give her come and go privileges, saying he was hoping to ease her back into the community.

But it wasn’t long before she made her excursion to O’Hare.

“The State of Illinois has paid and paid and paid,” Raines told Hartman. “You need to be punished. But you also need treatment!”

And during that hearing, he predicted he would be seeing her again.

“Good luck,” he said. “I think you’re going to need it.”

Contact Us