Chicago Police

What We Know About Navy Pier Stampede, Nearby Stabbings So Far

Chicago Police released new details about the stabbings and unrelated stampede after Navy Pier's fireworks, giving clarity to the situation. Here's what we know so far.

Chaos erupted after Navy Pier's Fourth of July fireworks as thousands scrambled for cover amid unconfirmed and ultimately erroneous reports of gunfire. Meanwhile three people were stabbed just outside of Navy Pier, adding to the fear and panic.

Chicago Police released new details Friday morning, giving clarity to the situation. Here's what we know so far. 

Stabbing near Navy Pier

Three people were stabbed as a result of a fight at about 10:10 p.m., Chicago police said. The fight started after gang signs were flashed among a group of people.

A 14-year-old boy was stabbed in the arm and rib, and a 15-year-old boy was stabbed in the armpit, police said. Both were listed Friday in stable condition.

Cell phone video shows the chaos and fear at Navy Pier after unconfirmed reports of gunshots triggered a stampede following the annual Fourth of July fireworks. Chicago Police said Friday that someone threw what authorities thought were firecrackers, sparking the stampede that injured at least 13 people.

A 30-year-old man not involved in the fight was stabbed in the face and arm, police said. He couldn't remember any details about the stabbing, according to police, and didn’t see who did it. He also was listed in stable condition.

The incident occurred outside of the secured area of the pier on Thursday night, police said, noting all visitors entering Navy Pier were put through a security screening process before the fireworks show.

A 16-year-old boy punctured his leg by running into a table, police said, though it wasn't immediately known if he was part of the fight. Police initially thought he also was stabbed.

The three stabbing victims were being "uncooperative" with authorities trying to investigate the incident, according to a Chicago police spokesman on Thursday. 

Chicago police said they are still looking for two male suspects involved in the fight.

Stampede at Navy Pier

Around the same time, someone threw what police believed to be firecrackers, sparking a stampede toward the exit that injured at least 13 people.

"We believe someone yelled 'gun,'" Chicago Police Spokesman Rocco Alito said Thursday. "[The victims involved suffered] non-life-threatening injuries."

 Chicago Police Spokesman Rocco Alito gives an update on Thursday night’s stabbing at Chicago’s Navy Pier. 

An eyewitness spoke to NBC 5's Chris Coffey and described the scene as chaotic, saying that people had "no clue what was going on" and were simply running away.

"I was walking toward the exit and all of the sudden people were running toward me," he said. "My first instinct was to run away as well. It was just a panic, and everyone went along with it."

Exact injuries of those hurt during the stampede are mostly unknown, police said, as many of them transported themselves to the hospital.

Contact Us