Chicago firefighters were once again forced to put out a rekindled fire at an Englewood church after smoke began billowing from the building on Monday.
Firefighters responded to Antioch Missionary Baptist Church on Monday afternoon after the fire “rekindled”:
Officials say that a roof collapse is hampering efforts to extinguish hot spots in the building, forcing firefighters to continually come back to the scene to flood the debris with water.
Feeling out of the loop? We'll catch you up on the Chicago news you need to know. Sign up for the weekly Chicago Catch-Up newsletter here.
The original fire started on Friday at the historic church, located in the 6200 block of South Steward Avenue. Heavy smoke and flames billowed from the building as firefighters worked to try to put the blaze out:
No injuries were reported in Friday's fire.
In a tweet Saturday afternoon, the fire department said that the fire was accidental, and had been caused by work being done on the roof of the church with a propane torch.
Saturday morning firefighters had been called to the scene a second time after the blaze broke out again, and on Monday they were once again back on the scene putting water on hotspots at the building.
Meanwhile, churchgoers had to convene elsewhere on Easter Sunday for their services.