Employees Return to Aurora Plant After Deadly Shooting, Warehouse to Reopen Next Week

Grief counselors will be available for all workers at the Henry Pratt Company

Employees returned Monday to the suburban factory where five people were killed in a workplace shooting on Friday, but the manufacturing warehouse won't reopen until next week. 

Grief counselors will be available for all workers at the Henry Pratt Company, located at 641 Archer Ave. in Aurora, the company said.

No work was being done Monday, a spokeswoman for parent company Mueller Water Products said in a statement, but it was simply a day for employees to "seek counselling, be together, get information" and more.

"For the remainder of the week, our doors will be open for any employees who would like to spend time with their colleagues or simply return to a familiar environment," a statement from the company read. "We will not be returning to full production this week. We tentatively plan to return to a normal schedule next Monday, and as those details are finalized, we will be communicating them directly with employees." 

Five men were killed in a shooting rampage there Friday afternoon, and five police officers were wounded in an exchange of gunfire with the shooter, who was eventually killed by police.

Officers responded at 1:28 p.m. to multiple calls of an active shooter at the Henry Pratt Company at 641 Archer Avenue, according to Aurora police.

During the shooting spree, recently-fired Gary Martin, 45, shot and wounded six Henry Pratt employees, five of them fatally, authorities said. The men who died were identified as Trevor Wehner, Russell Beyer, Clayton Parks, Josh Pinkard and Vicente Juarez.

Autopsy results released Sunday showed that 47-year-old Beyer, of Yorkville, 21-year-old Wehner, of Dekalb, and 32-year-old Parks, of Elgin, all died from multiple gunshot wounds, according to the Kane County coroner’s office. Autopsies for Pinkard and Juarez were scheduled for Sunday.

Martin, of Aurora, also died after suffering multiple gunshot wounds, the coroner’s office said.

Another vigil was planned for Monday, organized by the group Indivisible Aurora and scheduled for 1 p.m. at the Water Street Mall. Hundreds attended two vigils held Sunday for the victims.

Contact Us