One person was killed and at least 23 others have been wounded in shootings across Chicago as the city rang in the New Year this holiday weekend.
A 51-year-old man was killed while driving in the 3900 block of West Cornelia just before 2:30 a.m. Monday, police said. The man was traveling southbound on Pulaski in a Toyota Camry when the vehicle hit a fence, police said. The man was found with a guinshot wound to the back and was pronounced dead at the scene, according to authorities.
Area North detectives are investigating.
Four people were shot at a bar on Chicago's North Side Sunday morning. The incident occurred at 1:35 a.m. in the 2300 block of West Howard when a man opened fire.
One man was taken to St. Francis Hospital in critical condition with mutliple gunshot wounds. A 38-year-old man was shot multiple times and is in stable condition at St. Francis. A 54-year-old man was shot in the hip and is in stable condition at the same hospital.
A fourth victim, a 42-year-old man, walked into Evanston Hospital with a gunshot wound to his leg, and is listed in stable condition.
A 57-year-old woman was critically injured during what police believe was a domestic dispute in the 12500 block of South Emerald on Friday night.
At approximately 8:30 p.m., a 62-year-old woman was shot in the face during the incident, and was listed in critical condition at Christ Hospital. A 57-year-old man, who is believed to have shot the woman, was found dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head.
A 33-year-old man was critically injured in a shooting in the 1400 block of North Lotus just after 9 p.m. Saturday night, police said. He was discovered in the basement of a residence with a gunshot wound to his face. He was taken to Loyola in critical condition, according to authorities.
In an attempted robbery, a 43-year-old man was shot while standing on a sidewalk in the 3000 block of West Jackson at approximately 4:30 a.m. Saturday. The shooting occurred during a robbery, and after the alleged thief stole the man’s property, he shot him in the left leg.
The man was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital in stable condition.
- A 34-year-old woman was driving in the 1000 block of North Campbell when a person in a grey SUV fired shots at her, striking her in the left arm. She was listed in stable condition at St. Mary’s.
- A 20-year-old man was shot during an argument in the 5700 block of West Washington at approximately 4:07 a.m. During the argument, a man produced a gun and fired shots at the victim, striking him in the left knee. He was taken to Mount Sinai in stable condition, police said.
- A 25-year-old man was shot in the left leg and was taken to Stroger Hospital in good condition. He was sitting in a vehicle in the 5300 block of West Ohio at approximately 7 p.m. when another vehicle pulled alongside him and opened fire, police said.
- At approximately 7:10 p.m. in the 300 block of South Kilbourn, a 26-year-old man was shot in the foot. He was taken to West Suburban in good condition, police said.
- A 23-year-old man walked into Rush Hospital with gunshot wounds to his calf and thigh. He refused to give police any information on the shooting, and is in stable condition at Stroger after being transferred.
- Just after 2 p.m., a 17-year-old boy was shot in the buttocks in the 7300 block of South Sangamon and took himself to St. Bernard Hospital where he was listed in good condition. Circumstances surrounding the shooting weren't immediately known, police said.
- At 10:45 p.m., a 26-year-old man was shot while walking in the 1900 block of North Sawyer. The man was walking when a vehicle approached and someone inside opened fire, police said. He was transported in good condition to Norwegian Hospital with a gunshot wound in the leg, according to authorities.
- Minutes before midnight, two people were shot inside an apartment in the 11500 block of South State Street. A 33-year-old man was inside an apartment when shots were fired, police said. He was struck in the abdomen and shoulder and was taken in ciritcal condition to Advocate Christ Medical Center. Authorities later said a second person, a 30-year-old woman, was also shot in the face during the incident. She was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in serious condition.
- Just after midnight, a 24-year-old man was shot while walking on a sidewalk in the 4000 block of West Oakdale, marking the first shooting of 2018 in Chicago. The man was on the sidewalk when he told police he heard shots and felt pain. He was taken to Illinois Masonic Medical Center in stable condition with a gunshot wound to the buttocks.
- Two people were shot around 1:30 a.m. in the 5400 block of West Jackson, according to authorities. The 21-year-old man and 18-year-old woman were in an SUV when someone in a white sedan pulled alongside them and fired shots. The 21-year-old took himself to Stroger Hospital, where he was listed in stable condition with wounds to the left side of his head and left arm. The 18-year-old took herself to Stroger with a gunshot wound to the left wrist.
- At about the same time, a 35-year-old man was shot standing on the sidewalk in the 8100 block of South Drexel. The man told police he "heard shots and felt pain," authorities said. He was taken to University of Chicago Medical Center and was being transferred to Mount Sinai Hospital in stable condition. He had a gunshot wound to the shoulder, police said.
- About 15 minutes later, police witnessed shots fired during a fight between four men on the 0-100 block of North Wabash. A 31-year-old man was shot in the abdomen and taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital in stable condition. A second victim was taken to the same hospital with bruises to the face and body. Two people were being questioned by Area Central detectives, police said.
- A 24-year-old man was shot during a fight around 2:15 a.m. in the 6100 block of North Claremont. He was taken to St. Francis with a gunshot wound to the face and was listed in stable condition.
- A little over an hour later, another 24-year-old was shot in the 500 block of West 127th Place. The man was standing on the sidewalk when someone walked up and fired shots, police said. He was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in stable condition, according to authorities.
No one is in custody in any of these shootings unless otherwise noted.