Rogers Park Restaurant Fire Contained in Kitchen

A fire confined to the kitchen of a small Rogers Park restaurant Sunday night was extinguished quickly on the Far North Side.

The fire happened at the Toham African restaurant, 1422 W. Devon Ave., about 10:30 p.m. The restaurant is on the first floor of the three-story building. Firefighters quickly put out the blaze, which was confined to the restaurant's kitchen, according to unconfirmed reports.

At 12:40 a.m., police and fire crews were no longer at the scene and the building did not appear to have sustained any serious fire damage, though its door was boarded up, according to a witness.

A van from a company that apparently would be boarding up the windows, which were not broken, was at the scene and the fire didn’t spread to the businesses on either side of the restaurant, according to the witness.

Contact Us