Report: Kevin Spacey Seeking to Skip Arraignment Next Month in Massachusetts - NBC Chicago

Report: Kevin Spacey Seeking to Skip Arraignment Next Month in Massachusetts

Spacey was removed from the cast of 'House of Cards' amid other allegations of inappropriate behavior by the actor

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Kevin Spacey Charged in Sexual Assault at Nantucket Bar

    Actor Kevin Spacey, accused of sexually assaulting a teen on Nantucket, is facing felony charges.

    (Published Monday, Dec. 24, 2018)

    Actor Kevin Spacey is trying to avoid going to Nantucket for his arraignment, according to a report from the Boston Globe.

    The Oscar winner is charged with sexually assaulting the 18-year-old son of a former Boston TV news anchor at a bar in Nantucket in 2016.

    His legal team has asked the judge to excuse him from the Jan. 7 arraignment, according to the Globe. The hearing is scheduled for 11 a.m. in Nantucket District Court.

    The actor was first publicly accused in November 2017 by the victim's mother, former WCVB-TV news anchor Heather Unruh. She said her son was sexually assaulted by Spacey inside Nantucket's Club Car Restaurant.

    Facing Sexual Assault Charges, Kevin Spacey Posts Video

    [NATL-LA] Actor Kevin Spacey Post Video on Same Day as Sexual Assault Charges Announced

    Facing sexual assault charges, actor Kevin Spacey posts a video to social media. Kim Tobin reports for NBC4 News at 4 p.m. on Dec. 24, 2018.

    (Published Monday, Dec. 24, 2018)

    "The victim - my son - was a starstruck, straight 18-year-old young man who had no idea that the famous actor was an alleged sexual predator or that he was about to become his next victim," Unruh said in November 2017.

    "I want to make it clear - this was a criminal act," Unruh said. "It harmed him, and it cannot be undone."

    A public show-cause hearing was held on Dec. 20 where a criminal complaint was issued against Kevin S. Fowler, also known as Kevin Spacey. The Boston Globe was the first to report that a criminal complaint had been filed.

    "The complainant has shown a tremendous amount of courage in coming forward," Mitchell Garabedian, attorney for the accuser, said in a public statement in response to the filed complaint. "Let the facts be presented, the relevant law applied and a just and fair verdict rendered."

    Minutes after news of the charge went public on Christmas Eve, Spacey tweeted a link to a YouTube video showing a monologue of himself apparently as Frank Underwood, the fictional character he once played in the series, "House of Cards."

    Spacey was removed from the cast amid other allegations of inappropriate behavior by the actor.

    "If I didn't pay the price for the things we both know I did do, I'm certainly not going to pay the price for the things I didn't do," Spacey says in the monologue.

    It remains unclear if the social media posts have any connection to the latest charge.

    Spacey hasn't responded to a request for comment.