CHICAGO, IL - SEPTEMBER 08: Kyle Long #75 of the Chicago Bears blocks Geno Atkins #97 of the Cincinnati Bengals at Soldier Field on September 8, 2013 in Chicago, Illinois. The Bears defeated the Bengals 24-21. (Photo by Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images)
In this edition of Bears Bites, we take a quick look at a couple of potential targets that the Chicago Bears could go after in May’s NFL Draft, including Jason Verrett and Anthony Barr, and we also read an interesting piece about whether or not a former Arizona Cardinals linebacker should be enshrined in Canton for what he did off the field.
- We start out today with news that the NFL will be releasing their schedule on Wednesday night at 7pm. That gives Chicago sports fans about an hour and a half to digest the news before moving onto the Chicago Blackhawks game, which starts at 8:30pm local time. [Chicago Tribune]
- The Bears aren’t going to be lacking for options when it comes to third wide receiver candidates when training camp opens, as they added Josh Morgan to their roster on Monday. [CSN Chicago]
- Adam Hoge has been counting down the 20 players that he feels the Bears could take with the 14th overall pick in May’s NFL Draft, and this edition focuses on cornerback Jason Verrett. [CBS Chicago]
- If the Bears end up taking a safety in the first round of the draft, there is a lot of question about which position the team will address next. Patrick Finley speculates that it could be defensive line, and that Arizona State DT Will Sutton could fit the bill. [Chicago Sun-Times]-The Bears could also be looking at the linebacker position in the first round, and they met with UCLA linebacker Anthony Barr late last month according to reports. [ESPN Chicago]
- Finally, Tuesday marked the 10th anniversary of the tragic death of former Arizona Cardinals standout Pat Tillman in a friendly fire incident in Afghanistan. There is a movement among some in the game to see him inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame as a “contributor,” and frankly, there are some great arguments to be made to honor him with a spot in Canton. [Shutdown Corner]