Officials estimate a massive blaze at a suburban furniture stores caused as much as $60 million in damages Thursday.
The State Fire Marshall has been called to the scene and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms is investigating the blaze, fire officials said Friday.
The four-alarm fire broke out around 5 p.m. Thursday at The RoomPlace furniture warehouse, a 700,000-square-foot building in suburban Woodridge, according to the Lemont Fire Department.
The rapid flames created a scene so hot investigators couldn't go near the building Friday. Nearly 20 hours after the blaze sparked, flames remained persistent in parts of the building.
“Fire fighters from about 35 departments from the surrounding areas responded to help contain the fire,” Fire Chief George Rimbo said. “At one point, we had five aerial streams going to keep the fire from spreading to other buildings.”
All employees were evacuated from the building and no injuries were reported, Rimbo said.
"We want to reiterate that none of our employees have lost their jobs as a result of the is traumatic event and we will continue to pay our employees as we work to get everyone back to work," The RoomPlace said in a statement. "We are actively working to restore what was lost and communicating with all customers regarding any delays in deliveries that are a result of this incident."
The Illinois American Water Company issued a boil order for Woodridge residents who live south of I-55, according to the Village of Woodridge.
Eastbound International Parkway between Marmon Drive and Joliet Road remained closed Friday.