Lawsuit Filed in Legionnaire's Outbreak in Loop Hotel

Luis Enrique Acevedo Muro died Aug. 14 after staying at the JW Marriott Hotel

The family of a Florida man who died after catching Legionnaire’s disease at a Loop hotel has filed a wrongful death suit against Marriott International.

Luis Enrique Acevedo Muro was one of three people who died after being exposed to Legionella bacteria at the JW Marriott Chicago Hotel, at 151 W. Adams St., according to the lawsuit and public health officials.

Acevedo Muro, of Key Biscayne, Fla., contracted Legionnaire’s disease after staying at the hotel from Aug. 1 to Aug. 3, the suit claims. He died Aug. 14.

Health officials later tied the outbreak to the main fountain in the hotel lobby. The plaintiff in the suit, Maria Elena Acevedo, alleges the hotel didn't properly maintain the fountain and said the company neglected to prevent visitors from walking near the fountain when the hotel should have known about the bacteria.

The eight-count suit, filed Wednesday in Cook County Circuit Court, claims wrongful death and survival action against Marriott and Chicago-based developer The Prime Group, Inc. It seeks an unspecified amount in damages.Neither company could be reached for comment Wednesday evening.

Legionnaires’ disease is contracted by breathing in mist or vapors from water contaminated with the Legionella bacteria and usually develops two to 14 days after exposure. It frequently begins with headache, high fever and chills, and progresses by the second or third day to include a cough, chest pain and shortness of breath.

Contact Us