The Chicago Department of Health on Friday said a third person had died following an outbreak of Legionnaires' Disease at a downtown Chicago hotel.
Thomas Keane, 66, of Ireland, died on Wednesday and is the latest victim, according to a Chicago Tribune report. Keane was in Chicago visiting his son and contracted the bacteria while dining in the hotel to celebrate his 40th wedding anniversary with his wife, the report said.
News of Keane's death comes as the Chicago Department of Health increased the number of reported cases to 10.
Additionally, officials tied the outbreak to the main fountain in the lobby of the JW Marriott hotel, at 151 W. Adams Street. The fountain has been removed.
"We are secure in the testing results reported by [Illinois Department of Health] that have informed this investigation and are encouraged by the hotels' cooperation and remediation plan," said Dr. Kathy Ritger, the Medical Director over Communicable Disease at the Chicago Department of Public Health. "We believe there is no ongoing public health risk at the hotel at this time."
Two people died earlier this week following their stays at the hotel between July 16 and August 15. There are seven other confirmed cases of the illness, the Chicago Department of Public Health said in a statement.
People who stayed at the hotel between those dates, and who are experiencing symptoms consistent with pneumonia, or who have been diagnosed with pneumonia, should contact a doctor to discuss or modify treatment, the department said.
The health department and Marriott have contacted most of the 8,500 guests who stayed at the hotel during that time period.
Legionnaires’ disease is contracted by breathing in mist or vapors from water contaminated with the Legionella bacteria and usually develops two to 14 days after exposure. It frequently begins with headache, high fever and chills, and progresses by the second or third day to include a cough, chest pain and shortness of breath.
About 30 cases of the disease are reported per year in Chicago, the release said.
People who may have been exposed can contact the CDPH hotline at 312-746-4835. The hotline is available Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
The JW Marriott is housed in an historic Daniel Burnham building renovated just two years ago for almost $400 million.