Is Jason Van Dyke Still a Chicago Police Officer? - NBC Chicago

High-profile trial for Chicago officer who shot Laquan McDonald

Is Jason Van Dyke Still a Chicago Police Officer?

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Judge Sets Trial Date, Location for Jason Van Dyke

    A judge set a trial date and location for the Chicago police officer charged in the 2014 shooting death of Laquan McDonald Tuesday. NBC 5's Kye Martin reports.

    (Published Wednesday, July 18, 2018)

    Nearly four years after a Chicago police officer was captured on dashcam video shooting a teen 16 times on the city's Southwest Side, a trial date has been set in the high-profile case that sparked widespread outrage and calls for reform.

    While public outcry sparked the firing of then-Supt. Garry McCarthy, as well as the electoral ousting of former State's Attorney Anita Alvarez, the man at the center of the controversy - the officer who fired the fatal shots - has not officially been fired from his role as a Chicago police officer.

    Jason Van Dyke was charged with six counts of first-degree murder in November 2015, and 16 counts of aggravated battery in March 2017, in the death of 17-year-old Laquan McDonald. Van Dyke entered a plea of not guilty.

    Supt. Eddie Johnson filed a motion with the Chicago Police Board in August 2016 to discharge Van Dyke from the force on the grounds that he violated six rules and regulations of the Chicago Police Department.

    Jason Van Dyke Case Returns to Court Thursday

    [CHI] Jason Van Dyke Case Returns to Court Thursday

    Another hearing was scheduled to take place Thursday in the case of the Chicago police officer charged in the 2014 shooting death of Laquan McDonald. NBC 5's Lauren Petty reports.

    (Published Thursday, June 28, 2018)

    Those rules included "any action or conduct which... brings discredit upon the Department," "disobedience of an order" and "making a false report," among others.

    Johnson filed termination charges for four additional officers - Daphne Sebastian, Janet Mondragon, Ricardo Viramontes and Stephen Franko - in connection with the case, accusing them of various violations including making false reports about what happened the night of the shooting.

    In June 2017, the Chicago Police Board granted a motion to stay the proceedings in all five cases "until the pending criminal case against Officer Van Dyke and the pending grand jury process involving the other officers are completed."

    Judge Pushes Back at Calls for Chicago Cop's Trial to Start

    [CHI] Judge Pushes Back at Calls for Chicago Cop's Trial to Start
    Though protesters are angry about waiting for a Chicago police officer to stand trial for murder in the 2014 shooting death of black teenager Laquan McDonald, the judge said the case "will go to trial when it's fair." Charlie Wojciechowski reports.
    (Published Thursday, March 8, 2018)

    Adding a layer of confusion, a CPD spokesman initially said when asked Tuesday that Van Dyke had been "separated" from the department, then clarified his status as an officer was "suspended" until the criminal case is completed.

    Thus, Van Dyke remains a member of the Chicago Police Department - suspended without pay - until there is a verdict in his trial, now set to begin Sept. 5.

    Get the latest from NBC Chicago anywhere, anytime

    • Download the App

      Available for IOS and Android