Chicago Public Schools scheduled a series of public meetings for parents after
tests revealed dangerous levels of lead in the drinking water at four additional campuses.
The newest additions – Carver, Chase, Disney and Nightingale – bring the total number of affected schools to 23
District officials will hold several community meetings later this month to discuss the issue and what is being done to keep students safe.
The meetings for parents and community members are set for the following dates and times:
June 20: Mather High School, 5835 N. Lincoln Ave., 6-8 p.m.
June 21: Michele Clark High School, 5101 W. Harrison St., 4-6 p.m.
June 21: Whitney Young High School, 211 S. Laflin St., 6-8 p.m.
June 22: Back of the Yards, 2111 W. 47th St., 6-8 p.m.
June 23: Hyde Park Academy High School, 6220 Stony Island Ave., 4-6 p.m.
June 23: Corliss High School, 821 E. 103rd St., 6-8 p.m.
June 24: Simeon High School, 8147 S. Vincennes Ave., 4-6 p.m.
The full list of schools and impacted fixtures includes:
- Beasley (1 drinking fountain, 2 sinks and 1 sink in kitchen that is not used)
- Beidler (1 sink)
- Blaine (1 drinking fountain and 1 sink)
- Blair (1 drinking fountain and 3 sinks – the sink in Room 106 is a rarely used office sink)
- Brentano (1 drinking fountain and 1 sink for handwashing in kitchen)
- Budlong (1 sink)
- Carver G (3 drinking fountains)
- Chappell (1 kitchen sink)
- Chase (2 sinks)
- Disney (1 sink)
- Durkin Park (1 sink)
- Esmond (1 drinking fountain)
- Fernwood (2 drinking fountains)
- Gunsaulus (1 kitchen sink)
- Harvard (1 drinking fountain)
- LaSalle II (1 sink)
- Locke J (1 sink)
- Nightingale (1 drinking fountain)
- Peirce (1 drinking fountain)
- Perez (1 drinking fountain)
- Reilly (4 drinking fountains and 4 sinks – the Department of Water Management conducted several plumbing modifications at Reilly, and the school was retested Tuesday morning. Results will be released as soon as they are available.)
- Tanner (4 drinking fountains)
- Wentworth (4 drinking fountains)
For further information, visit cps.edu/leadtesting.