Chicago is home to 10 of the hundreds of 2018 James Beard Awards finalists, which were announced Wednesday, sweeping the category "Best Chef -- Great Lakes" for the third year.
The annual prestigious award ceremony, often referred to as the Oscars of the food world, staretd in 1991. Winners will be announced at the awards gala on May 7 at the Lyric Opera of Chicago, 20 N. Upper Wacker Drive.
Tickets for the ceremony go on sale March 21 at the James Beard Foundation's website.
The Chicago nominees are:
- Outstanding Baker: Greg Wade of Publican Quality Bread, 808 W. Lake St.
- Outstanding Pastry Chef: Meg Galus of Boka, 1729 N. Halsted St.
- Outstanding Restaurateur: Kevin Boehm and Rob Katz of the Boka Restaurant Group, which includes Boka, GT Fish & Oyster and Girl & the Goat
- Outstanding Service: Boka
- Rising Star Chef of the Year: Sarah Rinkavage of Marisol, 205 E. Pearson St.
- Best Chef (Great Lakes): Andrew Brochu of Roister, 951 W. Fulton Market; Abraham Conlon of Fat Rice, 2957 W. Diversey Ave.; Beverly Kim and Johnny Clark of Parachute, 3500 N. Elston Ave.; David and Anna Posey of Elske, 1350 W. Randolph St.; and Lee Wolen of Boka.
Chicago had its fare share of finalists in last year's awards, with some overlapping between the two lists. Boehm and Katz, Wade, Conlon, Wolen and Kim and Clark were all nominated in their respective categories last year.