Man Charged With Shooting Cop in Face - NBC Chicago

Man Charged With Shooting Cop in Face

Officer's injuries not life-threatening



    An officer is shot in the face with a sawed-off shotgun over the weekend in suburban Stone Park. (Published Monday, May 10, 2010)

    A Melrose Park man has been charged for allegedly shooting a Stone Park police officer in the face early Sunday in the western suburb.

    Rashaun D. Carlisle, 28, of Melrose Park, was charged with attempted first-degree murder, aggravated battery with a firearm and unlawful use of a weapon, according to a Stone Park police release.

    Carlisle is accused of shooting Stone Park police officer Robert Vicari in the face with a sawed-off shotgun, police said.

    Two Stone Park Tactical officers -- who mainly focus on gang activity -- stopped a person in the 1600 block of Mannheim Road and were doing a field interview when a gunman appeared and fired at them with a sawed-off shotgun just before 3 a.m., police said.

    Philip Harbaugh was waiting in line at a nearby liquor store when he heard the shots, and rushed out to find the aftermath.

    "There was like three, four cops just by the guy ... two of them was holding him up, saying, 'just breathe, just breathe!'" he said.

    The officer -- identified in the release as Vicari -- was taken to Loyola University Medical Center in Maywood with gunshot wounds to the face and shoulder, Stone Park police Deputy Chief Louis Fatta said. He was treated and released by 9 a.m.

    "He was wearing his vest and his injuries weren't life-threatening," Fatta said.

    Vicari has been with the Stone Park Police Department for about three years, Fatta said. Prior to serving in Stone Park, Vicari served with other area agencies, the release said.

    “He is an excellent officer and he does an exemplary job,” Fatta said.

    Fatta believes the shooting is unrelated to the initial stop.

    Carlisle is scheduled to appear for a bond hearing Monday morning at the Cook County Courthouse at 1500 Maybrook Dr. in Maywood, the release said.

    Stone Park police and the West Suburban Major Crimes Task Force investigated.