Restaurant Gunfire That Left 4 Dead Believed to Be ‘Retaliation': Police

The shooting happened less than a mile from where a pregnant woman was found fatally shot inside a Chicago apartment

Four people were killed after a gunman opened fire at a Chicago restaurant Thursday afternoon just blocks from where a pregnant woman had been found dead hours earlier.

The shootings capped a bloody afternoon on the city's South Side. In total, at least 10 people had been shot across the city since Thursday morning.

Three of the four victims have been identified, according to the Cook County medical examiner's office.

Emmanuel Stokes, 28, Dillion Jackson, 20 and Raheam Jackson, 19. No home addresses were known, medical examiner's office said.

A fourth victim was not identified because the next of kind had not yet been notified.

Dillion and Raheam Jackson were brothers visiting their mother at the restaurant where she worked, family said.

Police spokesman Anthony Guglelimi said the restaurant shootings were believed to be gang related and a retaliation "from another incident."

He said detectives were making "good progress" in the case.

The most recent killing happened when police said a man walked up to a restaurant on the 2700 block of East 75th Street and opened fire. When officers arrived at the scene, they found two men unresponsive inside the restaurant and a third shot outside the restaurant. 

A fourth man was found unresponsive across the street on the 7500 block of South Coles Avenue, according to authorities. 

Police said all four were pronounced dead at the scene. 

Hours earlier, a pregnant woman was found shot to death in an apartment less than one mile away.

Patrice L. Calvin, 26, was discovered shortly after 12 p.m. with a gunshot wound to the head in the 7500 block of South Luella, Chicago Police said. 

Calvin was four months pregnant with her first child, her father told NBC 5. Her brother called 911 after he couldn't get a hold of her. 

Police said the circumstances of the shooting weren't immediately clear. 

Reporters interviewing neighbors about Calvin's shooting said they heard what sounded like gunshots. Seconds later they heard sirens and discovered the second shooting scene just blocks away. 

As rush hour approached, police reported a third shooting scene on the Dan Ryan Expressway near 35th Street.

No injuries were reported but authorities had closed lanes on the roadway as they investigated. 

"They need to stop this. It's crazy," said Rochelle Peterson, who lives in the area. "It makes me want to stay in the house, but I need to do things. ... My son is scared to come outside."

Police remained at the scenes of all three shootings Thursday afternoon. An investigation was ongoing, authorities said. 

No one was in custody.

Contact Us