16 Shot, Two Fatally, Since Friday

The most recent shooting happened just before 4 a.m. Saturday

At least 16 people have been shot, two of them fatally, in shootings across Chicago since Friday afternoon.

The latest homicide took place Friday night when police found a 37-year-old man with multiple gunshot wounds in the 2700 block of East 76th Street.

Police said the man was pronounced dead on the street just before 9:30 p.m., but details surrounding the shooting were not immediately known.

The most recent shooting happened just before 4 a.m. Saturday.

Two men were shot while sitting on a stoop on 18th Street in the city’s Pilsen neighborhood, according to police. The men were approached by an unknown man who fired shots striking both victims, Chicago Police News Affairs Officer Michael Sullivan said.

A 26-year-old man suffered wounds to his back and hand and a 25-year-old man suffered multiple gunshot wounds and was in serious condition. The two were self-transported to John H. Stroger, Jr. Hospital of Cook County, according to authorities.

About 30 minutes earlier, two women were shot in the Austin neighborhood.

Police said the women were sitting at a stop light when a gray van pulled alongside and fired shots.

One woman was shot in the neck and another was shot in the hand.

The women drove themselves to Loretto Hospital, but the woman shot in the neck was later transported to Stroger Hospital in serious condition.

Around 2:45 a.m., a 24-year-old man was shot while standing outside near 71st and Jeffery Avenue, police said.

The man was approached by an uknown man who fired shots at him. The victim ran a few blocks away where he managed to tell police he was shot, Sullivan said.

He was taken to Northwestern Hospital in stable condition.

Fifteen minutes earlier a 32-year-old man was shot in the chest and leg in the 3200 block of West Huron Street.

Police believe the shooting may have been during an attempted robbery, but few details were available.

The man was listed in critical condition at Mount Sinai Hospital and no one was in custody as of Saturday morning.

At least nine people were shot in less than seven hours Friday.

Around 10:10 p.m. Friday, a 22-year-old man suffered wounds to his head and shoulder after someone fired shots from a light-colored vehicle at the car he was riding in the 8100 block of South Kilpatrick Avenue. He was taken in critical condition to Advocate Christ Medical Center.

About 20 minutes earlier, a 27-year-old man was shot in both legs after attempting to intervene between two people fighting in the 8200 block of South Maryland Avenue.

The man told officers he was trying to stop the fight when he heard shots and felt pain in both legs.

He was taken in stable condition to Stroger Hospital.

A 57-year-old man was shot around 9:15 p.m. in the 0-100 block of East 120th Street, police said.

The man was outside when an unknown offender fired shots from an alley striking him in the leg, Sullivan said.

He was taken in stable condition to Advocate Christ Medical Center.

About an hour earlier, a 17-year-old man suffered a graze wound to the head after someone fired shots at his vehicle.

He was taken to Stroger Hospital for treatment, police said.

Around 5:10 p.m., two people were shot in the 8400 block of South Burnham Avenue.

Police did not have details on the shooting, but said a 20-year-old woman was shot in the chest and taken in critical condition to Northwestern Memorial Hospital and a 17-year-old man was shot in the back and taken in stable condition to South Shore Hospital.

The weekend’s first homicide took place Friday afternoon when a 17-year-old girl was killed in a shooting in the Woodlawn neighborhood on the South Side.

The shooting happened about 3:30 p.m. in the 6400 block of South Eberhart Avenue, authorities said.

The girl was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital and was pronounced dead at 5:43 p.m., the Cook County Medical Examiner’s office said. Her identity is being withheld pending notification of her family.

She suffered multiple gunshot wounds to the upper body, police News Affairs Officer Thomas Sweeney said.

A 33-year-old man (police said he was 34) was taken to Jackson Park Hospital and Medical Center with a gunshot wound to the foot, Fire Media Affairs spokesman Juan Hernandez said. He is listed in good condition.

A 19-year-old man (police said he was 18) was also injured in the shooting, Hernandez said, but he managed to get in a car and drive to the 4700 block of South Wabash Avenue before he was picked up by rescue crews. He was taken to Mercy Hospital and Medical Center, where he was listed in “stable” condition, authorities said.

Contact Us