Illinois is home to 43 of the safest hospitals in the nation, according to a new report from a national nonprofit healthcare ratings organization.
The Leapfrog Group, founded in 2000, produces a report twice a year that lists the safest hospitals in the country by analyzing 27 different "measures" of approximately 2,600 hospitals across the United States.
Those measures include number of infections in patients, problems in surgery, practices like computerized medication ordering, hospital leadership and more.
Based on those metrics, the group assigns each hospital an "A" through "F" letter grade for how safe they are for patients. The most recent report, released Thursday, gave 43 of Illinois' hospitals an "A" grade (see the list below).
Of the 50 states, Illinois ranked 13th in the nation, moving up from 15th in the spring ranking, for percentage of hospitals receiving that highest "A" mark: 39.09 percent.
Leapfrog assessed a total of 110 hospitals in Illinois, giving only two and "F" grade.
Mount Sinai Hospital and South Shore Hospital in Chicago received an "F" grade, though both told the Chicago Tribune the rating was related to their decision to not submit data to the ranking group.
You can read the entire study and find detailed scores of each individual hospital on Leapfrog's website here.
- University of Chicago Medical Center, Chicago
- Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago
- Presence Saint Joseph Hospital, Chicago
- Presence Saints Mary and Elizabeth Medical Center, Chicago
- NorthShore University HealthSystem- Evanston Hospital
- NorthShore University HealthSystem- Skokie Hospital
- MacNeal Hospital, Berwyn
- Rush Oak Park Hospital, Oak Park
- Presence Resurrection Medical Center, Chicago
- NorthShore University HealthSystem- Highland Park Hospital
- Loyola Gottlieb Memorial Hospital
- Presence St. Mary's Hospital
- Riverside Medical Center
- NorthShore University HealthSystem- Glenbrook Hospital
- AMITA Health Adventist Medical Center Hinsdale
- Elmhurst Memorial Hospital, Elmhurst
- Silver Cross Hospital, New Lenox
- AMITA Health Adventist Medical Center Glen Oaks, Glendale Heights
- AMITA Health Adventist Medical Center Bolingbrook
- AMITA Health Adventist Medical Center La Grange
- Edward Hospital, Naperville
- Northwestern Medicine Central DuPage Hospital, Winfield
- Carle Foundation Hospital, Urbana
- OSF Heart of Mary Medical Center, Urbana
- Rush Copley Medical Center, Aurora
- Centegra Hospital, McHenry
- Presence Mercy Medical Center, Aurora
- Presence Saint Joseph Hospital- Elgin
- Northwestern Medicine Delnor Hospital, Geneva
- Centegra Hospital Huntley
- Morris Hospital, Morris
- SSM Health Good Samaritan Hospital- Mount Vernon
- St. Mary's Hospital of Decatur
- OSF St. Joseph Medical Center
- SSM Health St. Mary's Hospital-Centralia
- Katherine Shaw Bethea Hospital, Dixon
- HSHS St. Joseph's Hospital, Breese
- HSHS St. John's Hospital, Springfield
- HSHS St. Elizabeth's Hospital, O'Fallon
- Graham Hospital, Canton
- OSF Saint Anthony's Health Center
- OSF St. Mary Medical Center
- McDonough District Hospital