Obama Still Plans to Close Gitmo

Despite Gitmo's connection to Pants Bomber, Thomson plan apparently still in effect

By Steve Bryant
|  Tuesday, Dec 29, 2009  |  Updated 10:30 AM CDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
The Top 10 Illinois Stories of 2009

Getty Images

advertisement
Photos and Videos
More Photos and Videos

Closing the Guantanamo Bay facility remains "a national security imperative" despite reports that two of the planners behind the attempted Christmas Day "pants bombing" had been released from Gitmo in 2007, a senior administration official tells Politico.

The official's comment comes after ABC News' Brian Ross reported that two of the four leaders allegedly behind the Al Qaeda plot were released by the U.S. from the Guantanamo prison in November 2007.

The administration official repeated the White House line that Guantanamo had been used as a rallying cry and recruiting tool, and said that this White House is working diligently on a problem created by the prior administration.

“The President created the Guantanamo Review Task Force to conduct the thorough work that the previous administration did not: to review the relevant information about each detainee, including the threat they pose, to determine whether they should be prosecuted, detained, or transferred," the official said to Politico. "As he has said before, the President will not release any detainee who would endanger the American people. We have worked cooperatively with the government of Yemen to ensure that all appropriate security measures are taken when detainees are transferred.”

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Get Our Weather App
Stay ahead of the storm with the NBC... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out