In this segment of "Dishing With Chicago Chefs," Chef Rick Bayless previews this year's Chicago Gourmet and shares a special taco recipe with NBC 5's Alex Maragos.
Potato Chorizo Tacos with Avocado Salsa
• 3 medium red-skin boiling or Yukon gold potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 2 cups)
• Coarse salt
• 1 pound Mexican chorizo sausage, casing removed
• 1 small white onion, finely chopped
• 3 medium tomatillos (about 4 ounces), husked, rinsed, and coarsely chopped
• 1 clove garlic
• 1 jalapeno, stemmed
• 1 large ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
• 12 soft cornmeal tortillas
1. In a medium saucepan, bring 1 quart of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes, and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain, and set aside.
2. In a large skillet over medium heat, combine chorizo and onion. Cook, stirring often, until sausage is cooked through and onion is soft, about 10 minutes. If sausage has rendered more than a light coating of fat over bottom of skillet, pour off extra. Add potatoes, and continue to cook over medium heat, stirring often, until potatoes begin to brown, about 8 minutes. As mixture cooks, mash everything together a little with back of a spoon or a spatula, scraping up any crusty bits of potato, so that it roughly holds together. Cover, and keep warm over very low heat.
3. Meanwhile, in a food processor fitted with the steel blade, combine tomatillos, garlic, and jalapeno. Pulse until fine. Add avocado, and pulse until combined. Season with salt.
4. Wrap tortillas in a warm, damp kitchen towel, put them in a microwave-safe casserole dish, and cover. Warm in themicrowave for 4 minutes, remove, and let stand a few minutes. Top each tortilla with potato mixture and avocado salsa, fold in half, and serve.