Man Charged in Woodfield Incident Had Searched Mall More Than 100 Times, Prosecutors Say

"Based on nature of this case I do find you pose a threat to the community,” the judge said

A suburban Chicago man charged with terrorism for allegedly driving through Woodfield Mall earlier this month had searched the mall on his phone more than 120 times, prosecutors said in court Sunday. 

Javier Garcia, 22, faces charges of terrorism and criminal damage to property following the Sept. 20 incident. He appeared in court Sunday where a judge ordered him held without bail, stating that mall damages were around $100,000.

"Based on nature of this case I do find you pose a threat to the community,” the judge said.

A search warrant on Garcia's phone revealed he searched the mall about 124 times, prosecutors said.

A total of 21 searches also came up regarding one of his former teachers, but it remained unclear if those searches were connected to the incident at Woodfield Mall.

Although a motive has yet to be determined, police said they have no reason to believe Garcia was targeting any specific person or store.

Garcia is accused of driving a black SUV through an entrance near Sears and Rainforest Cafe and wreaking havoc throughout the shopping center.

He was detained by shoppers before officers arrived to arrest him, police said, and was later taken to AMITA Health Behavioral Medicine Institute. Garcia was released from AMITA on Friday and transferred to the custody of Schaumburg Police, authorities said. 

Hear witnesses describe what was happening inside Woodfield Mall to 911 operators after an SUV drove inside of the popular suburban Chicago shopping center.

No one was struck by the car, but three people were taken to a hospital for “very minor” injuries, Schaumburg Police Chief Bill Wolf said. 

Garcia has had no prior arrests nor a criminal background, however it seems he does suffer from mental illness, according to authorities.

A state terrorism charge carries a 20-life sentence if convicted.

Garcia is expected to return to court on Oct. 1.

Contact Us