Both of Chicago's baseball teams are caught in a funk. The Cubs are below .500 with a record of 19-23, third in the NL Central.
What happened to this city's playoff caliber squads? Here's what the experts say:
- White Sox slugger Paul Konerko says his team needs to cut loose. "If we worry about last night or worry about the first 30 games this year, we're going to be worse tonight for that. [Daily Herald]
- Cubs GM Jim Hendry felt the need to defend his staff. In response to an article calling for Lou Piniella’s dismal, Hendry simply said “never given it a thought.” [Chicago Tribune]
- Could Ozzie get fired? White Sox GM Kenny Williams held a team meeting Wednesday to try and rally the troops. Williams said he and Ozzie Guillen are as tight as they've ever been. [Sun-Times]
- Jaramillo hasn't helped. The Cubs' overall numbers haven’t changed much from the second-half of last year, despite bringing on hitting coach Rudy Jaramillo. [Chicago Tribune]
- How do you spell relief? H-O-W-R-Y. Jim Hendry is expected to sign the bullpen vet any minute. [ESPN]