Groupon no longer is going to give out info on the number of deals sold daily – for example, today’s deal reads “Over 440 bought” rather than the total amount.
That’s because the company claims analysts incorrectly use the info to determine sales figures. By telling us about it, they’re avoiding the tricky transparency issue.
Also, it looks like local advertisers feel crowded by Groupon (that’s nothing new) and Barron’s doesn’t think Groupon really did cut spending on marketing.
- Groupon stops giving daily deal disclosures ... (Mashable)
- …and by blogging about it, the company is now simply “transparent about its lack of transparency.” (New York Times)
- Local advertisers crowded out by daily deals. (Reuters)
- Groupon cutting marketing spending? Barron’s says it doesn’t really look that way . (Barron’s)
- Today’s Deal: $ $20 for $40 Worth of Indian Cuisine at India House Restaurant