Chicago Police

CPD Bodycams Show Standoff Before Fatal Shooting of Bipolar Man

The man was shot and killed during an "armed confrontation" with a SWAT team, officials said


Videos released Friday by the Civilian Office of Police Accountability show the tense negotiations between Chicago police officers and a bipolar man before they fatally shot him during a standoff earlier this year inside a Woodlawn home.

The police oversight agency released six videos and seven audio clips from the May 22 encounter that ended in Myles Frazier’s death in the 1300 block of East 61st Street.

A man called police about 10:15 a.m. to report that his son, who had bipolar disorder, was armed and distraught, Chicago Police Lt. Ozzie Valdez said at a news conference after the shooting. He asked for police to help.

Officers arrived and tried negotiating with Frazier, 22, who was barricaded inside a second-floor bedroom, according to police and the Cook County medical examiner’s office.

Tension escalates about 30 minutes in as Frazier fires shots.

Frazier fired at least five shots, Valdez said. Some of those shots went outside the house.

About 45 minutes into the standoff, a SWAT team forced their way in. Two officers shot him during an “armed confrontation,” Valdez said.

Police reports indicate Officer Daniel Colbenson fired his gun twice, and Officer Orlando Sanchez Jr. fired five shots.

Neither was wearing a bodycam. Their gunshots can be heard about 39 minutes into a video from a camera on an officer stationed outside the home.

Frazier died at the University of Chicago Medical Center. Police said they recovered a weapon from him at the scene.

According to court records, Frazier was charged in 2017 with unauthorized use of a weapon, domestic battery and violating an order of protection. He was also charged with domestic battery in 2015 and 2016.

The officers who opened fire were put on desk duty for 30 days, per CPD policy. COPA is still investigating their use of force.

Copyright CHIST - SunTimes
Contact Us