One person is dead and at least 11 others have been wounded in shootings across the city of Chicago on Saturday, according to authorities.
At approximately 8 p.m. Saturday, a 23-year-old man was shot in the back in the 2300 block of West 72nd Street, police said.
Witnesses say that they heard shots and then saw the victim lying on the ground. He was taken to Christ Hospital in critical condition, and was later pronounced dead, according to authorities.
In an earlier shooting Saturday, three men were shot at a back-to-school event on the city's Near North Side, police say. Event organizers say a group of young men got into an argument and the event and one of them opened fire, striking the three victims.
Two of the victims, a 54-year-old man and a 43-year-old man, were taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital in stable condition, while another, a 28-year-old man, is at Northwestern in critical condition after being shot in the back.
In the 5500 block of West Huron at approximately 4:38 a.m., a 38-year-old man was sitting in a parked car when he was shot multiple times in the face, according to police.
The man was taken to Stroger Hospital in critical condition, and no one is in custody, police said.
Less than an hour later, a 22-year-old man was shot multiple times in the 8500 block of South Morgan while sitting in the driver’s seat of a car, police said. The man was taken to St. Bernard Hospital in serious condition.
Here are the rest of Saturday’s shootings:
- A 22-year-old man was on foot when he was shot in the groin, police said. The incident occurred in the 2100 block of East 71st Street just after midnight, and the man was taken to University of Chicago Hospital, where his condition stabilized.
- In the 4100 block of South Lake Park at 12:41 a.m., a 26-year-old man was standing outside a vehicle when he was approached by an unknown person. He was shot in the foot, and was taken to Mercy Hospital in good condition.
- A 17-year-old girl was riding in a car with her boyfriend in the 1900 block of North Kedzie when she was shot, suffering a graze wound to her shoulder. She was taken to St. Mary’s in stable condition, police said.
- An 18-year-old man was shot in the left hand while he was walking in the 13300 block of South Front, police said. According to police, the man was walking when he saw another man walking toward him, and he changed direction. The man then opened fire at the victim, striking him. He was taken to Roseland Hospital in stable condition.
- A 15-year-old boy was shot after he attempted to rob a 28-year-old man, police said. According to police, a 28-year-old man was in the 100 block of North Leamington when he was approached by four people, who attempted to rob him. The man then shot one of the assailants, who is in stable condition with a gunshot wound to his elbow.
- In the 6900 block of South Artesian, a 30-year-old man was standing on a sidewalk when he heard shots and realized he'd suffered a graze wound to his shoulder. He refused treatment at the scene, police said.