Shot Officer Awake, Speaking With Family - NBC Chicago

Shot Officer Awake, Speaking With Family

Suspect questioned in Monday shooting



    Doctors Optimistic About Shot Officer's Recovery

    A 47-year-old Chicago Police officer was shot Monday night while chasing down a suspect. Doctors were optimistic Tuesday about the officer's recovery following a long surgery. (Published Tuesday, March 20, 2012)

    UPDATE: Charges announced...

    A Chicago police officer who was listed in critical condition after being shot Monday night in the South Chicago neighborhood is now awake and talking to his family.

    Meanwhile, investigators say a suspect in the shooting of 47-year-old Del Pearson is being questioned.

    Pearson was chasing a suspect when he was shot in the upper body at about 10:45 p.m. in the 8400 block of South Kingston Avenue.

    Critically Injured Officer "Holding His Own": McCarthy

    [CHI] Critically Injured Officer "Holding His Own": McCarthy
    Supt. Garry McCarthy updates reporters outside Advocate Christ Medical Hospital in Oak Lawn after a Chicago Police officer was critically shot in the South Chicago neighborhood. "The doctors tell us they have slowed the internal bleeding a little bit, and he's holding his own at this point," McCarthy said.
    (Published Tuesday, March 20, 2012)

    He was taken to a local hospital where he underwent surgery Tuesday morning.

    According to Chicago Police Supt. Garry McCarthy, Pearson was "doing very well" following the surgery.

    "He's going down for a CT scan right now to take a look at where the bullet is lodged in his neck, which is obviously a really good sign, because last night we were more concerned with saving his life than figuring out if he was gonna have any issues as far as motor skills is concerned. He's moving his arms, he's communicating with his family," McCarthy said.

    Fraternal Order of Police spokesman Pat Camden said Pearson lost two-thirds of the blood in his body following the surgery.

    Although no charges have been filed, McCarthy said the investigation was proceeding "very, very, very well."

    "We believe we know what happened, where the gun is," McCarthy said.

    Police say the incident happened when several officers were investigating a possible curfew violation when a male suspect started running. The officer chased him into a yard, where the suspect opened fire, striking the officer.

    Tactical Officer Larry Ryan who knows the wounded officer well, said Pearson's partner and sergeant made a "great decision" by taking him immediately to the hospital instead of waiting for an ambulance.

    "You see officers out there every day doing proactive police work," Camden said. "They stop four people for a curfew violation, one takes off and there's a gun battle. Police work is very dangerous."

    The officer was wearing a bulletproof vest, according to McCarthy.

    Following the shooting, dozens of police officers surrounded the area near 84th and Kingston and combed the area looking for the suspect.

    Pearson is an eight-year veteran assigned to the South Chicago District.

    The shooting comes after a violent weekend in Chicago. There were 37 shootings from Thursday to Sunday, killing nine people.