A 14-year-old boy is one of two killed, along with at least seven other people wounded in Chicago-area shootings Saturday.
A 14-year-old boy was walking in the 5600 block of South Wabash just before 3 a.m. when a person in a dark colored sedan fired shots at him, striking him multiple times.
The boy was taken to Comer’s Children’s Hospital with serious injuries, and later died at the hospital. The shooting is still under investigation, and no one is in custody.
The second fatal shooting happened in the East Chatham neighborhood on the South Side. About 5:30 p.m., 34-year-old Deandre Bennett was shot in the neck by someone he was arguing with in the 7900 block of South Greenwood, according to authorities.
He was taken to the University of Chicago Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead at 8 p.m., the medical examiner’s office said. Bennett lived in the same block as the shooting.
Earlier in the day, a 31-year-old man was taken in critical condition to University of Chicago around 4 a.m., after he was shot in the neck. The man was riding in a car when a person in a tan-colored sedan fired shots at him in the 6100 block of South Aberdeen.
Another man is in critical condition after he was shot during an altercation with another person. The 33-year-old man was shot in the 7900 block of South Greenwood at approximately 5:30 p.m., and was taken to University of Chicago, police said.
Here are the rest of the shootings that occurred in Chicago on Saturday:
- A 25-year-old man suffered a graze wound to his ankle and a gunshot wound to his knee. The victim, a documented gang member, refused to tell police where the shooting took place, and was treated at Mount Sinai.
- In the 6800 block of South Hoyne at approximately 4:16 a.m., a 26-year-old woman was standing outside a home when a person approached and fired shots at her, police said. She was struck in the leg, and was taken to Christ Hospital in stable condition.
- A 19-year-old man was driving a car in the 4500 block of South Vincennes just before 6 p.m. when he heard a gunshot from a dark colored car, according to police. The bullet struck him in the back, and he was taken to University of Chicago in stable condition.
- A 24-year-old man was shot in the foot while walking in the 300 block of East 47th at approximately 5:53 p.m., police said. A person in a dark colored Chevy Cruze fired shots at him, striking the victim. He was taken to Mercy Hospital in stable condition, police said.
- In the 7200 block of South Paxton at approximately 6:43 p.m., a 34-year-old man was walking when he was shot in the leg. The man was taken to Jackson Park Hospital, where he’s listed in stable condition, according to police.