CHA Senior Home Evacuated Overnight

Carbon monoxide leak affects every floor

Warming buses were onhand for senior citizens who were evacuated from a Chicago Housing Authority building overnight due to high levels of carbon monoxide.

No one was injured when the high levels were detected at a CHA senior housing building in the Lake View neighborhood on the North Side.

Police were notified at 2:55 a.m. of elevated readings on every floor of the nine-story building at 3940 N. Clark St., according to a Belmont District police captain.

Not all the residents were evacuated.

Authorities turned off the heat in the building and called in someone to perform maintenance on the furnace, according to the captain.

The Mary Hartwell Catherwood Apartments, a senior housing center operated by the CHA, is located at the Clark Street address, according to the CHA Web site.

Contact Us