Fire at John Hancock Building Caused by Candle - NBC Chicago

Fire at John Hancock Building Caused by Candle

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Fire Breaks Out Inside John Hancock

    Five people were hurt in a two-alarm fire on the 50th floor of the John Hancock building Saturday afternoon. NBC 5's Trina Orlando reports. (Published Sunday, Nov. 22, 2015)

    A burning candle sparked the two-alarm fire that injured five people, including a Chicago police officer, at the city's iconic John Hancock Center on Saturday, according to the Chicago Fire Department Office of Fire Investigation.

    The blaze broke out around 2:30 p.m. inside a condominium bedroom on the 50th floor of the high-rise, Chicago fire officials said. Investigators have ruled the fire accidental.

    The five people who were hurt all suffered minor injuries, according to officials. Two people were listed in good condition and three were listed as stable.

    Investigators said one person lived in the unit where the fire started and was able to get out safely. Fire officials said flames gutted the condo, forcing 50th-floor residents from their homes, although the skyscraper was not evacuated.

    The high-rise, completed in 1970, boasts 700 luxury condos, along with retail and commercial office space, and is home to the 360 Chicago observation deck, according to its website.

    Footage from the scene showed flames and smoke shooting from the side of the building.

    At least six ambulances were called to the scene and police closed traffic on North Michigan Avenue.

    Security staff at the 100-story Hancock building said they moved people away from the affected floors. Fire officials asked tenants to stay in their units but said many chose to leave the building.

    Chicago fire officials said the blaze was out by 4 p.m.