Hoverboard Catches Fire in Fox River Grove House - NBC Chicago

Hoverboard Catches Fire in Fox River Grove House

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Hoverboard Catches Fire in Fox River Grove House

    A hoverboard a teen received for Christmas caught fire at a home in Fox River Grove early Friday. NBC 5's Trina Orlando reports. (Published Friday, Jan. 8, 2016)

    A hoverboard a teen received for Christmas caught fire at a home in Fox River Grove early Friday.

    Firefighters responded to the 500 block of Essex Road just before 5 a.m. Fire Chief Robert Kreher said the board was charging in the family room when it ignited.

    “They heard a popping noise and then the smoke detectors went off and then they went down to investigate,” Kreher said.

    The family used a fire extinguisher to put out the blaze caused by the before firefighters arrived, Kreher said.

    “The damage was basically to unit and to some carpet and they did get a lot of smoke damage throughout the house,” Kreher said.

    The Fox River Grove incident is one of a growing number of problems reported across the country. Last week, a camera was rolling as a hoverboard exploded on a Los Angeles sidewalk.

    Another hoverboard burst into flames inside of a Washington State shopping mall.

    The fires have caused numerous airlines to ban hoverboards from planes.

    The United States Consumer Product Safety Commission recommends consumers avoid buying from mall kiosks or websites that can't be easily contacted in the event of a problem.

    Additionally, consumers should avoid charging the hover board overnight and never charge it immediately after use.

    The agency has directed staff to work non-stop to find the cause of the problem.

    Get the latest from NBC Chicago anywhere, anytime

    • Download the NBC Chicago App

      Download the App

      Available for iOS and Android