All Horses From Massive Barn Fire Accounted For - NBC Chicago

All Horses From Massive Barn Fire Accounted For

18 Horses Dead, 22 Rescued



    All Horses From Massive Barn Fire Accounted For

    McHenry County Animal Control says that all of the horses have been accounted for after a massive fire destroyed the stable earlier this week.

    The blaze that destroyed the barn at M&R Overlook Farms on Wednesday killed 18 horses and 22 were rescued.

    "The horses who were rescued are healthy and at several different stables in the area," said County health department spokeswoman Debra Quackenbush.

    After the fire, two horses were still believed to be missing. On Thursday, an aerial search using thermal imaging was called off by midday, and it was hoped the horses would return on their own.

    Massive Fire Destroys Horse Stables

    [CHI] Massive Fire Destroys Horse Stables
    The fire started about 5 p.m. at the Black Tie Stable, a 25,000-square-foot metal barn at 101 Bay Rd. in unincorporated McHenry Township. With no hydrants, water had to be trucked in.
    (Published Wednesday, April 11, 2012)

    Quackenbush says the two horses are fine and accounted for.

    Additionally, she has been receiving several calls and Facebook messages from people looking to help rebuild the barns by making donations. Quackenbush says she is thankful for the support.

    More than half of the 40 horses in the stable during the fire were rescued thanks to help from 15-year-old Madison Wallraf, who continued to got back into the burning stable and lead the animals to safety.

    Teen Describes Fire That Killed Horses

    [CHI] Teen Describes Fire That Killed Horses
    More than a dozen horses are reportedly dead, but many more were saved when a courageous 15-year-old fought flames and smoke to lead them to safety. Natalie Martinez reports.
    (Published Thursday, April 12, 2012)

    "I started off by just putting their halters on and pulling them out by twos, but then the fire started getting quicker so I just started wrapping their ropes around their necks and just tying them around my arms and pulling them out," Wallraf recalled.

    On Friday, investigators ruled the fire an accident.