9 Hospitalized After CO Leak at Chicago Home - NBC Chicago

9 Hospitalized After CO Leak at Chicago Home

CO levels inside the home were 300 parts per million, a level Langford described as “lethal."

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    9 Hospitalized After CO Leak at Chicago Home

    Nine people were hospitalized after firefighters discovered elevated carbon monoxide levels in a Chicago home Friday.

    Chicago Fire Department spokesman Larry Langford said firefighters were called to the home in the 600 block of North Sawyer Avenue in the East Garfield Park neighborhood because someone inside wasn’t feeling well. While inside the residence, CO detectors worn by firefighters began to go off.

    CO levels inside the home were 300 parts per million, a level Langford described as “lethal." 

    Nine people inside were taken to area hospitals. Their ages and conditions weren’t immediately clear but Langford said all nine are expected to be OK.

    Authorities believe the problem was likely caused by a furnace in the home.

    Temperatures Friday were set to be the coldest the area has seen so far this season. Wind chills were forecast to be in the single digits during the morning hours, rising into the teens in the afternoon. 

    On Thursday, a similar situation also sent nine people to the hospital in the city's Austin neighborhood. 

    Get the latest from NBC Chicago anywhere, anytime

    • Download the App

      Available for IOS and Android