Son in Crash That Claimed Family Now Fights For Life in Hospital Where Father Worked

The crash happened just after 6 p.m. at the intersection of Golf and Rand Roads

The teen who survived a crash that left his mother, father and sister dead now fights for his life in the same Park Ridge hospital where his dad used to work. 

The crash occurred Sunday in northwest suburban Des Plaines, authorities said. It happened just after 6 p.m. at the intersection of Golf and Rand Roads. 

Police said a vehicle carrying the four family members was attempting to turn left onto Golf Road when it was struck by another vehicle. The surviving teenage son was behind the wheel, authorities said.

The family members were identified as 57-year-old Serif Dilji, 48-year-old Edije Dilji and 20-year-old Amra Dilji, all from Des Plaines, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner's office. Autopsies showed all three died of multiple injuries due to a motor vehicle collision, the medical examiner's office said. 

Police identified the three as mother, father and daughter. The son, who was driving, was not identified because he is a minor.

Serif Dilji, the father, worked at Advocate Lutheran where his son is in critical condition. 

“Serif Dilji was a wonderful colleague and cherished member of the Advocate Lutheran General Hospital and Advocate Children’s Hospital – Park Ridge family," the hospital said in a statement Monday night.

He worked in the hospital's environmental services department, mostly supporting the emergency department, since September 2011, the statement said.

"Serif was respected by all with whom he worked and was known for individually greeting everyone by name each morning when he came to work," the hospital said. "He will be deeply missed. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his loved ones."

The driver of the other vehicle in the crash, which had no passengers in it, had minor injuries and was also taken to Advocate Luthern General Hospital for treatment. 

Police said there was no indication of intoxication or impairment from either driver. No citations had been issued and no charges were filed as of Monday afternoon. 

Police said they were reviewing red light cameras in the area.

Contact Us