At least 26 people were shot, 2 fatally, in shootings across Chicago this weekend beginning Friday afternoon.
The most recent fatal shooting occurred at 3:47 p.m. Saturday in the Gresham neighborhood on the city’s South Side. Two people were in a vehicle in the 900 block of W. 85th St. when the offender or offenders approached on foot and fired shots. One man, later identified as 26-year-old Eric D. Henry, Jr., was shot in the head and pronounced dead on the scene, while a 24-year-old woman was shot in the jaw and leg. She was transported to Christ Hospital in serious condition.
The weekend’s shootings began at 12:30 p.m. on Friday, when a 35-year-old man was approached by another man in the 100 block of W. 95th St. in the Roseland neighborhood on Chicago’s South Side. According to police, the offender produced a handgun and fired shots. The victim sustained a gunshot wound to the leg and was transported to Christ Hospital in stable condition.
Other shootings included the following incidents:
- At 2:53 p.m. Friday, a 16-year-old boy became the first of six teenage shooting victims of the weekend thus far. He was standing on the corner of 1600 W. Cermak Rd in the Pilsen neighborhood when an unknown offender drove by and fired shots from a car. He was hit in the back and taken to Stroger Hospital by friends in critical condition.
- At 4:30 p.m., a 24-year-old man was sitting outside a residence in the 8900 block of S. Morgan St. in Chicago’s Gresham neighborhood when an offender approached on foot and fired shots. The victim suffered a gunshot wound to the leg and was taken to St. Bernard Hospital.
- The first fatal shooting of the weekend occurred at 9:45 p.m. Friday night, when 30-year-old Shari Graham was shot and killed while being driven by a hired driver in the 3800 block of S. Princeton near U.S. Cellular Field. Another car pulled up and fired shots, one of which went through the trunk and struck her in the back. She was taken to Stroger Hospital where she was pronounced dead at 10:30 p.m.
- Shortly before 10 p.m., 3 people shot in the Lawndale neighborhood arrived at Mt. Sinai hospital after being shot. They were seated in a parked car in the 1100 block of S. Whipple when offenders approached on foot and fired shots. A 26-year-old man was shot in the head and was admitted in stable condition, a 21-year-old woman was shot in the chest and was in critical condition, and a 19-year-old woman who was shot in the mouth was in stable condition.
- At 11:55 p.m. Friday night, a 36-year-old man was sitting in a parked car in the 8200 block of S. Manistee Ave in the South Chicago neighborhood when a man approached on foot and began shooting. He sustained a gunshot wound to the arm and is in stable condition.
- At 12:30 a.m. Saturday morning, a 27-year-old woman was traveling in a vehicle in the 2900 block of W. Madison in the East Garfield Park neighborhood on Chicago’s West Side when shots were fired from an occupant of another vehicle. She suffered a graze wound to the shoulder and refused transport to an area hospital.
- Also in the East Garfield Park neighborhood, a 25-year-old man was driving in the 3600 block of W. Jackson around 6:15 a.m. when he heard shots and felt pain in his leg. He drove to Mt. Sinai Hospital and is in good condition.
- A 41-year-old man was shot in the foot and a 48-year-old man was shot in the leg at around 1:30 p.m. in the 5700 block of S. Winchester Ave in the West Englewood neighborhood on Chicago's South Side. The two men were standing outside when a car pulled up and occupants fired shots. The 41-year-old was taken to Holy Cross Hospital in good condition, and the 48-year-old to Provident Hospital in serious condition.
- An hour later, at 2:30 p.m., a 17-year-old boy was taken to Northwestern Hospital after he was shot in the groin in the 7300 block of S. Jeffery in the South Shore neighborhood.
- At 3:54 p.m. in the 8300 block of S. Ada St. in the Gresham neighborhood, a 23-year-old man was walking on the street when he heard shots and felt pain. He self-transported to Advocate Christ and is in stable condition.
- At 4:45 p.m. a 22-year-old man self-transported to Rush Medical Center in stable condition after sustaining a gunshot wound to the groin. He was on the 2400 block of S. Sacramento in Little Village on the city’s Southwest Side.
- In the 3700 block of W. 13th St. in the Lawndale neighborhood at 5:32 p.m., a 19-year-old woman heard shots and felt pain after a van drove past. She took herself to Mt. Sinai with a gunshot wound to the leg and was in good condition.
- In the Cragin neighborhood on the Northwest Side, a 22-year-old man was walking on the sidewalk in the 4800 block of W. Barry at 8:59 p.m. when two men walked up and fired shots. The victim was shot in the lower left leg and taken to Community First Medical Center in stable condition.
- Less than a half hour later at 9:23 p.m., a 17-year-old boy was shot in the South Austin neighborhood. He was sitting in the rear seat of a parked vehicle on the 5000 block of W Thomas when a green sedan drove past and an occupant fired shots. The boy was taken in stable condition to Mt. Sinai with gunshot wounds to the left thigh and right hand.
- At 10:19 p.m. Saturday night in Englewood, on the 7300 block of S. Sangamon St, a 21-year-old man was walking on sidewalk when two men walked up and fired shots. He was taken in stable condition to Christ Medical Center with wounds to the buttocks and right arm.
- A 21-year-old woman was standing on the sidewalk in the 2800 block of N. Oak Park Ave in the Montclare neighborhood on the city’s Northwest Side when she heard shots and felt pain at 12:54 a.m. She was taken to Community First Medical Center in stable condition with a gunshot wound to her right foot.
- At 1:37 a.m. Sunday in the 1200 block S. Springfield Ave in Lawndale, a 39-year-old man was sitting in the passenger seat of parked car when a man approached. The offender asked to sit in the backseat, then displayed a handgun. He shot the victim in the right hip. The victim was taken to Mt. Sinai in stable condition.
- A 17-year-old boy was standing on the sidewalk in the 7900 block of S. East End in South Chicago at 2:20 a.m. A man approached on foot and fired shots from street. The teenager was taken to Northwestern in stable condition with a gunshot wound to the back of the head and back area.
- At 3:58 a.m. Sunday, a 30-year-old man was sitting in the passenger seat of a car on the 9500 block of S. Lafayette in Longwood Manor when he heard shots and felt pain. He was driven to St. Bernard Hospital in stable condition with a wound to the right shoulder.
- A 20-year-old man was shot in the groin in the 6700 block of S. Claremont Ave in the West Englewood neighborhood on the city’s Southwest Side. The incident happened at 2:52 p.m. Sunday afternoon, and the victim was taken to Christ Medical Center in stable condition.
As of Sunday evening, no one was in custody as a result of these shootings as police continue to investigate.