Children Playing With Lighter May Have Caused Deadly Fire

2-year-old boy killed in South Side house fire

Police and fire investigators in Chicago were trying to determine whether a South Side house fire that claimed the life of a 2-year-old boy was sparked by children playing with a lighter.

The Cook County Medical Examiner's Office said Jaquin Roby died from carbon monoxide intoxication he suffered in the Saturday night fire at his family's home.

Police say the toddler's 14-year-old brother called 911 about 8:15 p.m. to report the blaze in the two-story frame house.

When firefighters arrived, the whole front of the house was burning, Fire Department spokesman Joe Roccasalva said.

''There was a girl across the street saying her brother was inside,'' he said.

Firefighters found the 2-year-old in a bedroom and carried him outside. The boy was taken to Holy Cross Hospital, where he died.

Authorities said the blaze appears to have begun in a mattress.

Copyright AP - Associated Press
Contact Us