Despite reports that Mike Ditka will be at the Republican National Convention among other sports icons next month, Da Coach says he has not yet accepted the invitation from Da Donald.
Ditka confirmed to NBC Chicago Wednesday that he has been invited to the convention and he does support Trump, but said he has not yet made a decision on whether or not he would attend or speak.
“I haven’t made up my mind yet,” he said, contradicting earlier reports that he declined the offer.
The Sun-Times reported just minutes before NBC 5 spoke to Ditka that Da Coach had a phone call with Trump Wednesday in which he said he’s “not big into doing things like that.”
Earlier this week, Bloomberg, citing sources, reported that a number of sports figures were slated to appear in Cleveland next month, including Ditka, former Indiana University basketball coach Bobby Knight, NASCAR chief Brian France and Mike Tyson.
Shortly after, Ditka told several publications he had not been contacted by Trump’s campaign and was unaware of the request.
Trump also tweeted after the initial report that Tyson was not asked to speak at the convention.
“Iron Mike Tyson was not asked to speak at the Convention though I'm sure he would do a good job if he was,” Trump tweeted. “The media makes everything up!”
Ditka, who previously dubbed himself as an "ultra-ultra-ultra conservative," has not been shy of his support for Trump since he announced his presidential campaign.
Last year, Ditka told the Sun-Times he believes Trump has "the fire in his belly to make America great again and probably do it the right way."
"I do support Trump," he said Wednesday, adding, "You can let all the liberals in Chicago know that."