Cubs shortstop Starlin Castro was interviewed by Chicago Police detectives Thursday night in connection with a sexual assault complaint filed by a Chicago woman last September.
Castro appeared at Area 3 Police headquarters, accompanied by his attorney, Michael Gillespie. After several hours, he was told he was free to go, with no resolution of the case, and no indication whether charges were imminent, or if he would, in fact, be cleared.
In a statement, Castro said he has fully cooperated in the matter.
"I personally, and through my attorneys, have fully cooperated with the police in this matter," Castro said. "Unfortunately I cannot address the matter further at this time while the investigation is taking place. I understand that being a member of the Cubs means being a hard worker on the field and a good citizen off the field, and I always want to carry myself in a way that exceeds high expectations."
Others associated with the alleged incident, including the accuser, were also reportedly interviewed during the same sessions Thursday night.
The star shortstop later made an appearance at the annual Cubs Convention at the Chicago Hilton, drawing thunderous applause from those in attendance.
A 23-year-old woman made the accusation against Castro September 30. She alleged that after an evening of partying with the Cubs shortstop and his friends at an Ontario street nightclub, she returned to Castro’s apartment, where she said the alleged sexual assault took place during the early morning hours the following day.
Castro left on a flight later that September day for his home in the Dominican Republic. His attorney said it was a previously scheduled flight, unrelated to the alleged incident. Castro returned this week, voluntarily, at the request of Chicago Police.