Seven people were killed and at least 23 others were wounded in separate shootings across the city between Friday evening and Sunday night.
The fatalities include:
- Erik Kall, 27, was shot several times in the 6200 block of South Francisco Avenue shortly after 10 p.m., according to police and the Cook County Medical Examiner’s office. Kall, of the 5100 block of South Moody Avenue, was taken to Holy Cross Hospital where he was pronounced dead at 10:22 p.m., according to the medical examiner’s office.
- About 8:50 p.m., a 31-year-old man was shot to death in the South Side South Deering neighborhood. He was standing near the 9600 block of South Brennan Avenue when several people walked up and opened fire, striking him several times, police said.
Denero Appleton, of the 9900 block of South Calhoun Avenue, was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, where he was pronounced dead, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner’s office.
- Early Sunday in the Austin neighborhood, a teenage boy was killed and five others were wounded. The six were standing in a group at the intersection of West Ferdinand Street and North Lavergne Avenue about 12:30 a.m. when several shooters emerged from a nearby alley and opened fire, police said.
Donald Williams, 17, of the 3000 block of West Dickens Street, was shot in the back, according to police and the Cook County Medical Examiner’s office. Williams was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 1:19 a.m., the medical examiner’s office said.
Five other people -- all females -- were shot and listed in “stable” condition after the shooting, police said. A 14-year-old girl was shot in the buttocks and taken to Mount Sinai Hospital. Another girl, 17, was also shot in the buttocks and taken to Mount Sinai. Two women — both 19 — were also shot. One suffered a gunshot wound to the arm and showed up at West Suburban Medical Center in Oak Park. The other woman was shot in the thigh and taken to John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital. A 22-year-old women took several “bullet fragments” to the back and was also taken to West Suburban, police said.
- A teenage boy was killed in a drive-by shooting Saturday night in the Irving Park neighborhood on the Northwest Side.
Nicholas Keener, 16, was walking with a group in the 3800 block of North St. Louis Avenue about 10:30 p.m. when shots were fired from a passing light-colored vehicle, according to police and the Cook County Medical Examiner’s office. Keener, of the 4800 block of North Hamlin Avenue, was shot in the chest and taken to Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead at 11:08 p.m., authorities said. Police said the shooting is possibly gang-related.
- About 15 minutes earlier, a 33-year-old man was shot to death in the South Chicago neighborhood. De Angelo Russell was walking with a friend in the 2600 block of East 83rd Street about 10:15 p.m. when at least one gunman walked up and fired shots, authorities said. Russell, of the 8200 block of South Marquette Avenue, was shot in the thigh, leg and arm and taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, where he was pronounced dead at 1:35 a.m., authorities said.
- Another man was shot dead Saturday afternoon in the Chatham neighborhood on the South Side.
McArthur Swindle, 21, of the 7000 block of South Halsted Street, was sitting in an SUV in the 700 block of East 87th Street about 3:20 p.m. when someone walked up and fired shots, hitting him several times, police and the medical examiner’s office said.
He was dead at the scene at 3:25 p.m., authorities said.
- Friday night, a man was killed and another man was hurt in a shooting in the South Side Fuller Park neighborhood. Charles D. Short, 51, was shot in the head about 6:30 p.m. in the 4200 block of South Princeton Avenue, according to police and the medical examiner’s office.
Short, of the 6700 block of South Indiana Avenue, was pronounced dead at the scene at 6:35 p.m., the medical examiner’s office said.
Another man, 32, was shot in the chest and taken to Stroger in “stable” condition.
At least 17 others were wounded in shootings across the city since Friday evening.