Man Charged in River North Mob Attack

Police investigating string of mob attacks in downtown Chicago

By Michelle Relerford and Christian Farr
|  Friday, Jun 15, 2012  |  Updated 1:26 PM CDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Garry McCarthy on Weekend Violence

Mitchell Cordarrowe

Photos and Videos

Victim Tells Tale of Mob Beating

He requested anonymity, but a man who became a victim of a mob attack wants people to hear his story to raise awareness and demand justice. Dick Johnson reports.

Garry McCarthy on Weekend Violence

Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy stops by Studio 5 to discuss a wave of violence that left at least 8 people dead in Chicago this weekend.
More Photos and Videos

A man charged in connection with a weekend mob attack has been ordered held on $75,000 bond.

Cordarrowe Mitchell , of the 5900 block of South Indiana Avenue, is charged with felony mob action and aggravated battery, police said.

He and seven other teens were arrested after three people were beaten shortly before 10 p.m. Saturday in the 500 block of North State Street, police said.

The seven other juveniles -- two 16-year-olds, two 15-year-olds, two 14-year-olds and a 13-year-old -- were each charged with three counts of felony mob action, police said.

Two of the victims -- a 36-year-old tourist and 44-year-old local -- were taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital after the attack. The tourist suffered a broken jaw and the local had a cut lip that required stitches.

Another incident occurred about a half hour later when a man and a woman near the Red Line Station at State and Lake were approach by a group that beat the man, police said.

No one was in custody Monday afternoon but police said they're still investigating.

"You know, this is something that happened last year and we got on top of it right away and we knocked it out," police Supt. Garry McCarthy said Monday morning. "We're going to make sure that our deployment is accurate so that we can prevent these things from happening."

On Sunday evening, a man was beaten and robbed of his iPhone as he walked in the Gold Coast neighborhood.

And throughout the weekend, eight people were killed and more than 40 injured in shootings around the city.

CeaseFire director Tio Hardiman said his group has been working hard to get many of the teens
involved to change their ways.

"We have to work very hard to get these guy to understand that you can change your outlook on life, so to speak. Because a lot of people just think violence is the norm," he said.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Get Our Weather App
Stay ahead of the storm with the NBC... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out