Christmas Morning Fire Destroys Bridgeport Home

Two dogs, cat die in fire

View Comments ()
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    Woman keeps a positive attitude after her home was destroyed by fire early Tuesday morning. (Published Tuesday, Dec 25, 2012)

    At least two families are homeless on Christmas Day following a fire at a Bridgeport house early Tuesday.

    The fire broke out at about 1:30 a.m. at the three-flat on the 3000 block of Emerald. Witnesses say the back porch was engulfed in fire and flames were shooting through the roof when he arrived.

    Lillian Lee Nissan, who lives on the first floor, was attending midnight mass when the fire started. All of her belongings were destroyed in the fire, and her two dogs and a cat were killed in the blaze.

    "What can I do? Give gives, God taketh away," Nissan said. "I cannot cry. Crying doesn't help. We have to be a little strong."

    The flames were hot enough to break the windows of neighbor Vincent Abete's house.

    "I'm glad everyone's OK," Abete said. Everything can be replaced, we have fully covered insurance on everything, but that doesn't help these people here who have no place to live tonight and the Christmas spirit is kind of killed."

    Paul Mazutis was at a Christmas Eve party down the street when he smelled the smoke.

    "It's a terrible way to start the Christmas Day. Especially for the families and the people," Mazutis said.

    Another family who lives upstairs was also dislocated by the fire. It's not clear how the blaze started, but the turn of events hasn't shaken Nissan's faith.

    "It still believe God is always taking care of me. He closes one door, he'll always open another for me," Nissan said.

    An electrical problem is believed to have sparked the fire. Nissan had contracted work out to a handyman.